Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk> on 2006/09/04 15:07:31 UTC

svn client lag

Hi folks,

I'm here with another question bothering my life with svn :)

The best way to demonstrate the problem is to use tortoise svn client
(see next paragraph for explaining with regular svn client).
Suppose you want to browse a repository with url svn://svn/proj1. You
click the directory and it starts to do pretty long lags >10sec-1min.
Sometimes it starts after second click, sometimes after fifth click.
Under this condition, svn is pretty unsuable.

If we look at the problem from the side of regular svn client it looks
like this. Take
for example that checkout of proj1 populates some directories from
another repository, say svn://svn/proj2. Each new request to external
repository take pretty much time to start (>10sec-1min).

Just to make it clear, directories contain just several files
(10-20).

Has someone encountered similar problem before? Or has any idea what should
I try or how should I force svnserve to give some useful information
about its processing? Thanks.

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk>.
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:18:30PM +0200, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2006, at 19:08, Stromek wrote:
>
> >Has anyone seen the repository which is relatively small (about
> >50revisions and
> >up to 100 files) which behave extremelly slow (each request has
> >delay about 10sec to 1min)? This repository causing
> >the problem is used to store mostly binary files. Checkout of entire
> >repository has about 80MB which I find very small comparing to
> >some extremelly large projects (KDE:). It really scares me if my
> >main project
> >repository can become, in the future, practically unusable after
> >performing some unknown steps.
> >
> >Now, I'm trying to recreated proj2 repository in steps and I'm
> >trying to
> >find what could cause the problem. Does anyone has any idea what
> >could be
> >the problem?
>
> The only thing that comes to mind about slow performance is the
> insufficient entropy problem where Subversion's APR is set to use /
> dev/random instead of /dev/urandom on a platform where /dev/random
> can be slow. I don't know if your symptoms exactly match those
> commonly observed by those experiencing this problem. You could try
> recompiling your APR to link against /dev/urandom instead of /dev/
> random. There may be another way to determine beforehand if this will
> help (by doing some kind of trace to see what Subversion is waiting on).

Wow, I see it in the mailing list. It looks like a pretty old issue but
I'll give it a try tomorrow. However, I recreated the repository of
proj2 and the new repository works fine now. Old repository is still
doing those nasty lags (hang ups). I'm little pesimistic about the
suggested solution but
anyway I'm going to try it. So for now, thanks for the suggestion.

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk>.
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:46:08PM +0100, Jeremy Pereira wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2006, at 10:53, Stromek wrote:

> >>You mean like this:
> >>
> >>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apb.html#svn-ap-b-sect-1.2.1
> >>
> >>It's in the troubleshooting section of the 1.1 version of the
> >>Subversion book.  This section seems to have disappeared from later
> >>versions which probably means it's been put somewhere else, but I
> >>can't find it.
> >
> >I think your link is pointing to the version 1.1 but it shows me this
> >
> >"Every time I try to access my repository, my Subversion client just
> >hangs."
>
> Aaargh you are right, sorry.  I meant
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apb.html#svn-ap-b-sect-1.2.14
>
> Even so, it would take a bit of inspired thought on your part to
> connect the problem described in the book with what you have.

Honestly, if I am not aware of the real problem I doubt that I can
recognize this disguised version :) btw. svnadmin never hung up in my case. I'm bit surprised that there aren't many who encouter this problem. It happened to me at linux box (gentoo) and not bsd.

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk>.
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:27:15AM +0100, Jeremy Pereira wrote:

> On 5 Sep 2006, at 10:07, Stromek wrote:
>

> >Well, I have solved the problem. Thanks to Ryan who pointed me to
> >the bug
> >with /dev/random! It was exactly that
> >problem. Unfortunately, it took me one day of my life to resolve
> >it :) I think it
> >will save lot of time to others :) in the future if a note about
> >urandom/random is
> >included in the svn book.
> >

> You mean like this:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/apb.html#svn-ap-b-sect-1.2.1
>
> It's in the troubleshooting section of the 1.1 version of the
> Subversion book.  This section seems to have disappeared from later
> versions which probably means it's been put somewhere else, but I
> can't find it.

I think your link is pointing to the version 1.1 but it shows me this

"Every time I try to access my repository, my Subversion client just
hangs."

which is not the problem I encoutered. The link you posted is not
regarding svnserve and it referres to problem of hanging. My problem was
that most of the time there was delay before svnserve started processing the
request. This delay was not deterministic and each time the request was
made, it lasted different number of seconds up to several minutes or
just total hang up (maybe I was just not patient enough:). Therefore
the problem you pointed to is different.

Rather than troubleshooting I was thinking about the notice in the form of bubble same as you can find in individual sections
stating some good practice, justification or warning. Similar warning bubble
should be included in the part about svn authentification pointing to the
solution (located maybe in the troubleshooting section). (see for example "svnserver, a custom server" -> "servers and
permissions" bubble)

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk>.
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:18:30PM +0200, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2006, at 19:08, Stromek wrote:
>
> >Has anyone seen the repository which is relatively small (about
> >50revisions and
> >up to 100 files) which behave extremelly slow (each request has
> >delay about 10sec to 1min)? This repository causing
> >the problem is used to store mostly binary files. Checkout of entire
> >repository has about 80MB which I find very small comparing to
> >some extremelly large projects (KDE:). It really scares me if my
> >main project
> >repository can become, in the future, practically unusable after
> >performing some unknown steps.
> >
> >Now, I'm trying to recreated proj2 repository in steps and I'm
> >trying to
> >find what could cause the problem. Does anyone has any idea what
> >could be
> >the problem?
>
> The only thing that comes to mind about slow performance is the
> insufficient entropy problem where Subversion's APR is set to use /
> dev/random instead of /dev/urandom on a platform where /dev/random
> can be slow. I don't know if your symptoms exactly match those
> commonly observed by those experiencing this problem. You could try
> recompiling your APR to link against /dev/urandom instead of /dev/
> random. There may be another way to determine beforehand if this will
> help (by doing some kind of trace to see what Subversion is waiting on).

Well, I have solved the problem. Thanks to Ryan who pointed me to the bug
with /dev/random! It was exactly that
problem. Unfortunately, it took me one day of my life to resolve it :) I think it
will save lot of time to others :) in the future if a note about urandom/random is
included in the svn book.

I tried to turn off authentication and those old repositories worked like charm!

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: svn client lag

Posted by Stromek <st...@realtime.sk>.
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:08:14AM +0200, Stromek wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:08:11PM +0200, Stromek wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 05:07:31PM +0200, Stromek wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I'm here with another question bothering my life with svn :)
> > >
> > > The best way to demonstrate the problem is to use tortoise svn client
> > > (see next paragraph for explaining with regular svn client).
> > > Suppose you want to browse a repository with url svn://svn/proj1. You
> > > click the directory and it starts to do pretty long lags >10sec-1min.
> > > Sometimes it starts after second click, sometimes after fifth click.
> > > Under this condition, svn is pretty unsuable.
> > >
> > > If we look at the problem from the side of regular svn client it looks
> > > like this. Take
> > > for example that checkout of proj1 populates some directories from
> > > another repository, say svn://svn/proj2. Each new request to external
> > > repository take pretty much time to start (>10sec-1min).
> > >
> > > Just to make it clear, directories contain just several files
> > > (10-20).
> > >
> > > Has someone encountered similar problem before? Or has any idea what should
> > > I try or how should I force svnserve to give some useful information
> > > about its processing? Thanks.
> >
> > I gathered some more information: If I checked out proj1, created new
> > repository and commited files from proj1 without defining externals
> > property it worked fine. There is no delay browsing the new repository. Then
> > I've found that there is a repository, let's say proj2 (located at the same host as proj1) which
> > behaves really really slowly and it does not have any externals nor any other
> > properties defined.
> >
> > Has anyone seen the repository which is relatively small (about 50revisions and
> > up to 100 files) which behave extremelly slow (each request has delay about 10sec to 1min)? This repository causing
> > the problem is used to store mostly binary files. Checkout of entire
> > repository has about 80MB which I find very small comparing to
> > some extremelly large projects (KDE:). It really scares me if my main project
> > repository can become, in the future, practically unusable after
> > performing some unknown steps.
> >
> > Now, I'm trying to recreated proj2 repository in steps and I'm trying to
> > find what could cause the problem. Does anyone has any idea what could be
> > the problem?
>
> I have recreated proj2 repository and it encounters no delays. Also I
> recreated proj1 without defining externals and it works fine. I defined externals in proj1 to
> populate some directories from proj2. It worked fine yesterday. Today, checkout of
> proj1 encounters huge delay (>30sec) if it wants to populate some of the
> directories. With each checkout, different directories encounter the
> delay. But this time, browsing proj1 and proj2 stays without delays. I'm
> really desperate.

I just want to add, that I'm keeping also old proj1 and proj2
repositories on that host. And those repositories are unusable if I'm
checking them out or I'm browsing them.

--
Stromek

Re: svn client lag