Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca> on 2005/03/01 08:12:20 UTC

Re: Compare 2 text fields.

How do I notify the ValidationDelegate of the error so it can notify the
page so a message can be printed that the 2 fields do not match!?

Thanks

Re: Compare 2 text fields.

Posted by Ramin <i8...@gmail.com>.
I wiould recommend a javascript validator .. fValidate is a very nice
one. Has many features and lets you compare fields easily. google:
fValidate

- Ramin

Re: Compare 2 text fields.

Posted by Nick Stuart <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Compare 2 text fields.

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Thanks

Re: I was told tapestry may be a good fit for me...

Posted by Ramin <i8...@gmail.com>.
I'm a newbie myself... not to Java or anything, but to Tapestry. I've
worked with JSP's and PHP before. Tapestry is totally different. Its
component based. You don't work with servlets and custom tags. Its
really weird to get used to, but I've heard good things about it and
the whole concept looks interesting.

Right now I'm tackling with this little webapp starter kit called
AppFuse. Matt Raible, the author of Spring Live! put together this
wonderful little webapp starte package called AppFuse that you can use
to base your application on. It has all the things you would need in a
typical webapp, like ant builds, configurations, authentication,
authorization, simple database setup, etc.

Just google for AppFuse ... I forget the link.

Good luck!

P.S. There are many different versions of AppFuse that Mr. Raible put
together. He has rewritten the whole thing in about 5-6 different
frameworks. Tapestry is one of them, so it might be a good place to
start.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:15:03 -0500, Brandy Fortune <br...@mediadiva.net> wrote:
> I don't know Java. I use TopStyle to code XHTML/CSS etc. I am looking to
> learn something a little more challanging, mostly for fun. A company I
> worked for in the past used JSP and ASP and PHP so I was going to learn JAVA
> for JSP (well like a dumb newb I thought - I'll learn JSP! *ehem*) so well
> my next lovely dumb newbie question is, if I learn Tapestry do I still need
> to learn Java first?
>
> I don't plan on making any e-commerce sites or anything to complex. Mainly
> just a few pages that act as a CMS and write data to a DB and then I will
> generate some XML with that and then HTML-ify it to my liking. I could find
> something already written but I want to be able to do it myself!
>
> So is Tapestry for me, and do I still need to get that Java book first?
>
> - Brandy (my apologies for being a newb, we all are every once in a while!)

- Ramin

Re: I was told tapestry may be a good fit for me...

Posted by Daniel Honig <da...@gmail.com>.
I would reccomend starting out with "Thinking in Java" from Bruce
Eckel.  It is still free in HTML format I believe you can get it at
www.eckelobjects.com.....Get mostly through that book, then do a
tutorial on servlets...Then you could attempt getting into
tapestry....Once you have a solid background in those things learning
tapestry will not be out of your reach, however it is a more
sophisticated technology than the ones you mentioned and might require
some dedication for you to reap its benefits....

-dh

Posted by Gregg D Bolinger <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com>.
If you are proficient with any other programming language, learning Java is
not especially difficult.  If Java is your first, that is fine as well but
your learning curve will obviously be longer.  You will save a lot of time
if you pick up a beginning Java book and work through the examples.  You
will also want to keep the J2SE Java documentation bookmarked in your
browser (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/index.html) and of course
work through the tutorials at http://java.sun.com.

Tapestry is a tremendous framework, but it will be very helpful if you are
comfortable with Java.  It takes care of a lot of the mundane details which
are common to any web application.  If Tapestry doesn't fit, I would
encourage you to also look into Velocity (another subproject within the
Apache Jakarta project) at http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity.  Velocity is
worlds better than JSP, and it is very easy to become productive right away.
Velocity is not a full framework like Tapestry, but it is rather a
templating engine which helps you to better separate your html pages from
actual Java code by merging your data with your html pages (templates) on
the fly.  This is a great way to learn Java as well as the Servlet API, and
it will provide a natural transition to Tapestry.  Of course, you can just
jump in to Tapestry if you prefer.  The Tapestry User's Guide
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/TapestryUsersGuide/TapestryUsersGuide
.html is probably the best place to start, and I would also highly recommend
the Tapestry in Action book.

Good luck!

Shawn

Error while recording error aftor custom validation...

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Hi am trying the following as show in most validation tutorials but I
get an exception...
If I move the comparison after the getHasErros() and then make it
return. It works...
The error message displays, but I notice the password field gets filed
up with *

Thanks

        if(principal.getPassword().compareTo(principal.getConfirm()) != 0)
        {
            delegate.record("Password fields do not match.", null);
        }

        if(delegate.getHasErrors())
        {
            return;
        }

    * com.mamoth.pages.Register.register(Register.java:68)
    * sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    * sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

    * sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

    * java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    * org.apache.tapestry.listener.ListenerMap.invokeTargetMethod(ListenerMap.java:257)

    * org.apache.tapestry.listener.ListenerMap.access$100(ListenerMap.java:46)

    * org.apache.tapestry.listener.ListenerMap$SyntheticListener.invoke(ListenerMap.java:97)

    * org.apache.tapestry.listener.ListenerMap$SyntheticListener.actionTriggered(ListenerMap.java:102)

    * org.apache.tapestry.form.Submit.renderComponent(Submit.java:80)
    * org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.render(AbstractComponent.java:857)

    * org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.renderBody(AbstractComponent.java:624)

    * org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.renderComponent(Form.java:362)
    * org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.render(AbstractComponent.java:857)

    * org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.rewind(Form.java:568)
    * org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.rewindForm(RequestCycle.java:432)

    * org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.trigger(Form.java:582)
    * org.apache.tapestry.engine.DirectService.service(DirectService.java:169)

    * org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:872)

    * org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:197)

    * org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doPost(ApplicationServlet.java:326)

    * javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    * javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
    * org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)

    * org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:75)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:186)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

    * org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:44)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)

    * org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:462)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)

    * org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:169)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

    * org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)

    * org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
    * org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)

    * org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)

    * org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)

    * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)

    * org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)

    * java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Re: Compare 2 text fields.

Posted by Mikaël Cluseau <nw...@nwrk.dyndns.org>.