Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bing Zhang <bz...@sohar.com> on 2002/03/19 17:34:48 UTC

Off Topic: Free J2EE IDE: Which one?

I am trying to use a free IDE to do J2EE development, mainly servlet and
EJB. The development will be on Windows NT/2000. Deployment is on linux.
Three tools come to my mind: Forte Java Community Edition (I am supprised
that almost nobody mention this tool), Eclipse from IBM and NetBean.

I feel short time evaluation does not give me enough insight, though I have
downloaded both Forte and Eclopse. Hope anyone ever used the above tools in
real life give me some guidance. Any of the above tools let me debug servlet
or even EJB locally? How about remotely? Any other server I need to set up
beside the IDE to effectively do J2EE?

Thanks,

Bing Zhang

Re: Off Topic: Free J2EE IDE: Which one?

Posted by Mark <ma...@bellsouth.net>.
I've been using JDeveloper 9i (free) from Oracle.  I like it MUCH better
than VA Java and has some very nice features.  Here's some info...

http://www.sys-con.com/java/article2arick.cfm?id=1247&count=3702&tot=3&page=2

Posted by David Cassidy <dc...@nisports.com>.
I think when you want the J2EE bits for forte it costs :(

I'm just starting to get going into the EJB areana and so $1995 doesn't
seem very nice :(

Posted by Matt Egyhazy <mw...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Gregor Kovaè <gr...@mikropis.si>.
Hi!

Here:

put parameters to java:
-Xint -Xdebug -Xnoagent
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,address=12999,suspend=n
in your tomcat startup script.
Start tomcat first.
Start NetBeans, go to Debug Attach menu. Select JDPA debugging, your
hostname and 12999 for port. Click OK. :)
You should be able to debug things running in tomcat now.

Best regards,
         Kovi

Posted by Dom <do...@free.fr>.
Hi

You can try Eclipse at http://www.eclipse.org + the Tomcat plugin at :
http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/tomcatPlugin.html + the JBoss plugin from
Genuitec at http://www.genuitec.com (they also offer Weblogic and Websphere
eclipse plugins)

or eclipse IBM evolution WSAD,  beta for free

Dom

Posted by hanasaki <ha...@hanaden.com>.

Posted by camccuk <ca...@yahoo.com>.
--- Chris Pheby <ch...@tfe-group.com> wrote:
> Can you give any more explicit instructions for how to do this?? It would be
> extremely useful!

Chris,

You might find the following useful:

These are instructions to set up JBuilder with Tomcat but the instructions are
more or less applicable to any IDE. Here, Tomcat is basically being launched as
the main IDE process and if the source is in the correct place and referenced,
you should be able to set breakpoints etc. The only tricky part is getting the
correct VM parameters in place when you launch it. A search of other IDE's
resources should give you a few more pointers.

I used JBuilder (free remember, although no one has yet mentioned it in this
thread!) reasonably happily until IntelliJ IDEA came along and revised all my
opinions about Java IDEs - its the best by a country mile.... JBuilder is a
little sluggish but its usable. I liked NetBeans/Forte but its just too slow.
If you find theses IDEs very slow in debugging, you can get a long way with
good old debug messages....

As for debugging with in-IDE servers - why bother when you'll have to
eventually deploy to a real target? Go with the method above and test on your
actual target...

cam

RE: Off Topic: Free J2EE IDE: Which one?

Posted by hanasaki <ha...@hanaden.com>.

Posted by Gregor Kovaè <gr...@mikropis.si>.
Hi!

I don't know about Eclipse, but I can tell you about NetBeans/Forte.

You can use Forte Enterprise Edition (I think it costs around $ 2000) or
you could use NetBeans and EJBDoclet (http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/) to
write your EJBs. And then you could use and ANT task to deploy them to your
application server.
I got this on NetBeans' mailing list.

Best regards,
         Kovi