Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Greg Ludington <lu...@pacbell.net> on 2000/04/02 19:35:58 UTC

Cocoon 1.72 on Win98 Configuration Problem

I am testing out Cocoon on a Windows98 machine to get a feel for XSP.
However, I am unable to get the publishing engine to initialize.  This is
not the "create store repostiory" error in the FAQ, or, if it is, it is with
a decided twist.  I get one of these two errors upon hitting the sample
files:

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at java.io.File.(File.java:185)
 at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.init(XSPProcessor.java,
Compiled Code)
 at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:101)
 at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Router.init(Router.java, Compiled Code)
 at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java:101)
 at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.(Engine.java:161)
 at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.getInstance(Engine.java:196)
 at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.init(Cocoon.java:119)
 at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.load_init(JServServletManager.java:569)
 at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet(JServServletManager.java,
Compiled Code)
 at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.processRequest(JServConnection.java,
Compiled Code)
 at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java, Compiled
Code)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

or:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create store repository:
C:\Apache113\Apache113jservservlets
epository. Make sure it's there or you have writing permissions.
(sometimes)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't create store repository: C:\Apache113\.
epository. Make sure it's there or you have writing permissions.

The relevant line in cocoon.properites is:
processor.xsp.repository = c:\Apache113\jserv\servlets\repository

As a result, I am not sure where the attempted path
C:\Apache113\Apache113... comes from.  There is a directory
c:\Apache113\jserv\servlets\repository on the filesystem, and the issue of
write premissions should be moot with Win98.  I have also tried using a
relative path, as well as the file:// method of specifying an absolute path.
Can somebody help me with what I am doing wrong?  I am using
Apache1.13/Jserv 1.1 on Windows98.

Thank you,
Greg Ludington

Re: Cocoon 1.72 on Win98 Configuration Problem

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Greg Ludington wrote:

> The relevant line in cocoon.properites is:
> processor.xsp.repository = c:\Apache113\jserv\servlets\repository

try

  processor.xsp.repository = c:/Apache113/jserv/servlets/repository

the '\' in java means "escape the next character" so you either do the
above or

  processor.xsp.repository = c:\\Apache113\\jserv\\servlets\\repository

and it should work :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.