Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jordan Koidahl <jr...@jordankoidahl.com> on 2002/12/29 08:43:19 UTC

[logging] commons-logging tag library?

Has anyone come across an implementation of a tag library for
commons-logging? Im using commons-logging in my servlets and would also
like to use it in my jsps with a tag lib. I would prefer to find a tag lib
that is based on commons logging and not log4j.
thanks

Re: [logging] commons-logging tag library?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
http://www.flamefew.net/~hen/logging/

contains an experimental commons-logging taglib I've knocked up. It
currently uses the exact same naming as the Log4J Log taglib. THe plus
side of this is that you can replace any existing code that is using log4j
with it, the downside is that you can't use the two jars in the same
webapp and that it doesn't have a different version yet.

The examples appear to work for me, though I don't see debug and I get
info going to the catalina.out file. I've configured nothing however and
am using commons-logging without any other logging library underneath it.

Let me know what you think,

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I've never heard of any that are, but it's a good idea.

As a commons-logging user [I'm not one yet] would you see any difference
in the actual tags that a commons-logging taglib would have over the
current Jakarta Log Taglib? Apart from what they are doing under the
covers.

I imagine the Log4J people have a strong opinion, but any reason why the
next version of the Log taglib could not be on top of commons-logging
instead of Log4J? I don't see it using any functionalities that I didn't
think commons-logging supported.