Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tomasz Nowak <tn...@netventure.pl> on 2004/05/20 15:48:49 UTC

Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

http://www.cell-x.pl/ - High standard computer components

/* tiny comment:
Site is based on Cocoon Platform with our addons.
Internalization is done with i18n tools and custom LocaleAction.
There are 7 language versions: polski, English, Deutsch, česko,
slovensko, Русский, Български. Depending on browser settings webapp
pushes to client appropriate language version at the same url of
each page, otherwise (if not found specific translation) sends
default one (polish). At any url one can change lang ver by
forcing different locale settings as a request parameter.
*/

--
Tomasz Nowak
  Netventure, http://www.netventure.pl/

Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 22.05.2004 02:14, Tomasz Nowak wrote:

> So, I you looses your language settings between pages
> it's almost for sure because you're one of a very, very few
> people who made their browser not accept any cookies,
> even a session ones! ;)

Exactly. I wonder why this group is so small!

> I know I could (or even should!) do encodeURL transformation
> setep before serialization.. but I really consider
> sessionsid' in URL as _evil_ :)

Cookies are evil :)

Joerg

Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Tomasz Nowak <tn...@netventure.pl>.
Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:

> > Depending on browser settings webapp pushes to client
> > appropriate language version at the same url of each page
> > otherwise (if not found specific translation) sends
> > default one (polish). At any url one can change lang ver by
> > forcing different locale settings as a request parameter.

> Unfortunately the URLs don't have the request parameter per default.
> When serving to this page and switching to German with the next click
> my preference is lost and I get the Polish pages again.

:-)
As far as I understood idea of LocaleAction, request parameter
is not necessary in every request (thanks god;), as each request
seeks language parameter in such order (my understanding):
1. forced request ?locale=xx
2. language stored as session attribute (if set before)
3. user-agent accept-language headers
If 1. nor 2. is set, action starts a session based on 3.

So, I you looses your language settings between pages
it's almost for sure because you're one of a very, very few
people who made their browser not accept any cookies,
even a session ones! ;)

I know I could (or even should!) do encodeURL transformation
setep before serialization.. but I really consider
sessionsid' in URL as _evil_ :)

> But it's a cool design.
> Will add it to CVS, website will be updated with the 2.1.5 release.

Thx twice ;)

--

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
On Fri, 21 May 2004, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 20.05.2004 15:48, Tomasz Nowak wrote:
>
> > http://www.cell-x.pl/ - High standard computer components
> >
> > /* tiny comment:
> > Site is based on Cocoon Platform with our addons.
> > Internalization is done with i18n tools and custom LocaleAction.
> > There are 7 language versions: polski, English, Deutsch, česko,
> > slovensko, Русский, Π‘ΡŠΠ»Π³Π°Ρ€ΡΠΊΠΈ. Depending on browser settings webapp
> > pushes to client appropriate language version at the same url of
> > each page, otherwise (if not found specific translation) sends
> > default one (polish). At any url one can change lang ver by
> > forcing different locale settings as a request parameter.
> > */
>
> Unfortunately the URLs don't have the request parameter per default.
> When serving to this page and switching to German with the next click my
> preference is lost and I get the Polish pages again.

i use to have the same problem again and again saving the locale in
session and this because the mod-proxy

saving locale information in cookies solve this problem

hope that this feet in this case too.

--stavros

Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Tomasz Nowak <tn...@netventure.pl>.
Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why did you need a custom LocaleAction?

Because default action and such pipeline:
  <map:match pattern="somecontent">
    <map:generate src="content/{../language}/somecontent.xml"/>

does not allow to control language parameters easyly.
If I had a couple of content files in such parrarel directory
structure:

  content/pl/somecontent.xml
  content/en/somecontent.xml
  content/de/somecontent.xml

I need an action that I'm able to configure with:

  a) an array of available languages
  b) site default language, when {language} is not within a)

I suppose such logic is possible to be done with a little
help of directory generator and probably some xsl filter,
but I like better simplier solutions :)

Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Tomasz Nowak wrote:

>http://www.cell-x.pl/ - High standard computer components
>
>/* tiny comment:
>Site is based on Cocoon Platform with our addons.
>Internalization is done with i18n tools and custom LocaleAction.
>There are 7 language versions: polski, English, Deutsch, česko,
>slovensko, Русский, Български. Depending on browser settings webapp
>pushes to client appropriate language version at the same url of
>each page, otherwise (if not found specific translation) sends
>default one (polish). At any url one can change lang ver by
>forcing different locale settings as a request parameter.
>*/

Out of curiosity, why did you need a custom LocaleAction?

Upayavira