Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/11/24 01:14:11 UTC

Stealable idea? [c.o.l.a] WANTED: Become a Debian Developer! Debian Mentors are waiting to help you. (fwd)

Doesn't really fit well into Apache, but just a prod on the idea of trying
to recruit people for help with certain types of things.

Sigh.  Too bad that even writing docs requires known about the magic ways
of Apache half the time.

From: Bruce Perens <br...@debian.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:15:04 GMT

Do you want to see your software fly on the Space Shuttle? Want to see it
used in classrooms and companies everywhere? Want to give something back
for all of the great free software that others have contributed? Want to
be part of the best project in the free software world, with lots of smart
people to work with?

	          *** BECOME A DEBIAN DEVELOPER ***

Be a technical writer, a package maintainer, or a programmer.

Now, it's easier than ever to become a Debian developer, because we've
set up "mentors" - experienced Debian staff who will guide you
through the process. You can meet them on the Debian Mentors mailing
list. To subscribe, send a message to
debian-mentors-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with the word "subscribe" in
the body.

About the easiest way to become a developer is to adopt a software
package. You can find a list of software packages that need maintainers at
ftp://debian.crosslink.net/pub/debian/doc/package-developer/prospective-
packages.html

You can find more information in our "Developers Corner",
at http://www.debian.org/developers_corner.html . Documents here include
the Debian Policy Manual and the Debian Packaging Manual, key references
for every Debian package maintainer.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader

- --
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502

Re: Stealable idea? [c.o.l.a] WANTED: Become a Debian Developer! Debian Mentors are waiting to help you. (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
I definitely support the idea of going out and actively recruiting folks;
but we'd have to be ready with easy-to-get-into projects for folks.  Right
now to become a useful contributor you have to do a *lot* of work to attain
your Apache chops; a mentor would be a good way to address this, but if we
had specific mini-projects (i.e., "vet CGI on windows NT") then we'd
probably be more successful.

	Brian

At 05:14 PM 11/23/97 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
>Doesn't really fit well into Apache, but just a prod on the idea of trying
>to recruit people for help with certain types of things.
>
>Sigh.  Too bad that even writing docs requires known about the magic ways
>of Apache half the time.

	Brian

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play." - sig   brian@organic.com