Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Koes, Derrick" <De...@smith-nephew.com> on 2003/10/14 18:21:25 UTC

basic jdbc realm authentication

I'm using tomcat 4.1.18 with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 sp1 as the
browser and oracle as the database to which I authenticate users.

Oddly, the colon character cannot be used in user names, but can be used in
passwords.  I'm assuming my code is at fault, but I cannot see how.
Perhaps there is something special about the colon character to the
authentication dialog.

Thanks for the help.

Derrick

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Smith & Nephew and
intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain information which is
covered by legal, professional or other privilege.  If you are not the
intended addressee, or someone authorized by the intended addressee to
receive transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain,
disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this
transmission.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message.

Re: basic jdbc realm authentication

Posted by "wade.johnson@abbnm.com" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
In the basic authentication approach the userid and password
are concatenated with a ':' between them, base64 encoded, then
placed in an HTTP header to send to the server.

Obviously, the server will have trouble differentiating between
the ':' in the username and the one separating the user name
from the password.

In other words, this is an artifact of BASIC authentication.

Later,
G. Wade