Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Richards Peter <hb...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/13 12:48:42 UTC

Are Hooks the right place to process acknowledgement and failures at each bolt level?

Hi,

We have been using topologies with 2 spouts and 3 bolts for quite some
time. Our topologies have been running fine without much issues.

In these topologies, the bolts used to store partial states in some
temporary files till the tuples are completely processed. When the spout
receives an acknowledgement, it used to make the partial state available
for the remaining system by renaming the partially processed files,
generated by the bolts, to a new extension. We used to do this in the ack()
of the spout.

I would like to know whether we can use storm Hooks to perform the renaming
process.
http://storm.apache.org/documentation/Hooks.html

I am planning to create a Hook in each bolt that listens for
acknowledgements from spout and use the Hook to rename the partial files to
new state. This way I will  delegate the processing of every partial file
to the corresponding bolt and make spout focus only on clearing the input
stream.

- Are Hooks the right place to process acknowledgement and failures at each
bolt level?
- Will there be any performance impact if we use Hooks for processing
acknowledgement and failure of tuples?

Thanks,
Richards Peter.

Re: Are Hooks the right place to process acknowledgement and failures at each bolt level?

Posted by Richards Peter <hb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Any thoughts/comments about this topic?

Thanks,