Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2014/09/03 10:23:18 UTC

Suggestions on improving Buildbot Builds

	Hi All,

So recently I worked on curing issues with your buildbot build at

http://ci.apache.org/builders/ofbiz-trunk

Part of the build involves running Apache RAT on your code and producing a report at

http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/rat-output.html

A summary of which also appears on the league table of participating projects at

http://ci.apache.org/projects/rat-master-summary.html

You have quite a bit of code that RAT has to go through in order to compile these reports and
this takes up over an hour of your build on its own. Your build gets run on a per commit basis
so this RAT report is run each and every time  a commit is made.

I'd like to propose two suggestions.

Suggestion One :
==============

We remove the RAT report steps from your normal build and stick those steps
into its own build, separate of any other build steps. This build would run via a nightly trigger only.

This would bring your normal build down to just 15 minutes, and is then fine to continue to
run on a per commit basis, concentrating on compile checks, docs and uploading of snapshots.

Suggestion Two :
==============

Your RAT report says there are 2273 (currently) invalid or unlicensed files. There are obviously
some false reports in there, such as generated files that probably should not be checked.

The suggestion is, to go through the report at

http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/rat-output.html

and see what files and/or directories can be excluded from the RAT check.
Lets get it down to a realistic figure that can then show you exactly what genuine files are missing
license headers.

This can be self-served by the addition of a rat-excludes file in your svn. I then tell RAT to read this
file and the excludes are automatic.

See the 'More Reading and links' section of

http://ci.apache.org/projects/rat-master-summary.html

for example rat-exclude files.

I am happy to get you started and create a patch with a starter rat-excludes file.

If you are happy with these suggestions, let me know and I'll get started.

Gav…

Re: Suggestions on improving Buildbot Builds

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Gavin,

We are still running RAT report (at least in trunk), normal?

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Gavin,