Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2004/09/24 16:16:33 UTC

Struts Wiki Etiquette: Niall's Help

I am trying to make the wiki on multiple buttons readable, despite being
detailed and long.  I have had to spend quite a bit of time doing that
because Niall comes behind me and changes things in ways that
effectively confuses the issue.

I would contact him directly on this, but he has asked me to not do that.

You added solutions which I was trying to avoid, Niall, to the wiki.
Then, in order not to confuse the reader, I added small critiques of the
links you provided.  Now you have moved the critiques to places where
they make no sense and have altered my words similarly.

Is there any sense to this or am I completely captured by Niall's status
and incapable of making this wiki remain readable?  If there is no way
to keep this wiki safe from Niall, I would rather remove it altogether
and just provide a link to a place he cannot rearrange at his whim and
without much knowledge of this area.

Michael McGrady

Re: Struts Wiki Etiquette: Niall's Help

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.
Some comments and questions inline...

Michael McGrady wrote:
> Thanks for your input, Matt.  There is an end to the page and a place
> there for alternative viewpoints.  Normally one person stops talking
> before the other starts.  There is also the rest of the wiki where other
> pages can be placed.  You are right that the page is hard to follow.  If
> others put comments in the middle, it will be impossible.  I had to
> completely jettison a previous attempt for that reason.   Your
> suggestions are more particularly responded to within, Matt.
>
> I am sure that collaboration is important.  I am equally sure that
> divergent points of view are important.  There may be a tendency for
> those with old ideas not to like new ideas presented and they may want
> to put the old ideas in the middle of new ideas.  That is not
> collaboration.  This is especially so when the old ideas not only have
> been presented elsewhere but in fact have been ensconced in the Struts
> framework itself.

I don't understand why this isn't collaboration. As the wiki stands now,
  it appears to new users that your 5 solutions are the best and that
DispatchAction/ImageButtonBean are inferior, and shouldn't be used. You
don't really explain why other than using generalizations that not
everybody agrees with.

> I don't see the systematic presentation of an idea as a "problem".  I
> don't understand why someone wants to put their ideas in the middle of
> presentation of an idea.  Why not at the end, or in another wiki page?
> Is there no place for a long systematic treatment of an alternative idea
> on the Struts wiki?

Maybe I misunderstand here, but you aren't trying to get at the
systematic presentation of 1 idea. You are trying to display (5)
possible solutions to the same problem. Others attempted to add more,
and it didn't work because the page is formatted terribly. All I am
saying is why not make the page more readable, and more flexible to
allow as many possible solutions as people can think of.

What you want out of the wiki is not what it is designed for. The pages
are changeable by anybody for a reason. If you truly want the page to be
unchangeable by anybody except yourself, you need to setup a website and
link the wiki to it.

> This particular page is not for Struts newbies.  If someone else wants
> to do a page for them, I would encourage that.  I don't want to change
> this page for that purpose.  This page, in fact, is likely to become
> more, not less, recondite.  I am talking to developers more than to
> users here.  And, more to advanced users than newbies.

I'm not sure what you mean by "developers more than users". Anybody
looking at the wiki is going to be a developer. Some may be experienced
with struts and some may be new to it, but I think many/most at least
now a bit about java and would be able to understand any solution
presented after some reading. Newbies to struts are developers.

When I was learning struts and needed a multiple button solution, I
looked at what was available (basically just the dispatchactions) and
decided how to handle it. If I could have looked at the wiki and saw 5
(or more) possible alternatives, and the pros/cons of each, I would have
been overjoyed. I was a newbie to struts, but still would have been able
to handle what you are presenting here.

> Everything everyone wants does not need to be on this page.  Try using
> another page.  The only difficulty here is that two people with very
> divergent views in this area have been trying to write in the same
> space.  I have tried to manage this by giving a space at the end.  The
> real alternative that makes sense would be for people who are not
> collaborating not to speak at the same time in the same place.  The
> divergence is good, but it must be managed.

What I am suggesting is alternate pages for all possible solutions. Just
break your 5 solutions up into 5 pages, then allow others to add their
solutions to an "index" page of all solutions. This makes it much easier
to collaborate.

> Part of the difficulty, Matt, is that you don't know where I am going on
> this page.  I might have been there already, but I have had to keep

I would suggest getting all your ideas together offline and presenting
them in the wiki when you are done then.

> changing the page.  I have a lot more that is going on this page.  I
> have a very detailed button solution.  Isn't there a place we can put
> detailed solutions rather than one, two or three liners?

Yes, you can have 5 extremely detailed pages that will (most likely) be
much more easy to understand than the 1 convoluted mess you have now.

> If someone wants to do the things you mention with DispatchAction, why
> do it here?  This wiki page is about a different solution.  Why do all
> the people who want to maintain the status quo need to have a say in the
> middle of the presentation of an alternative idea?  I don't see that as
> a good policy.  Alternative views ought to be heard too.
>
> Your solution essentially will make a nice little article on what
> everyone wants to do.  That is not my objective.  I am trying to put
> together a generic button solution which has a particular tilt.  I am
> not trying to lecture on the history of the problem and its vissisitudes
> but to present a new series of ideas.  Can I do that here?  So far I
> have been stymied twice by people who have no idea what I am trying to
> do putting their ideas in the middle of my presentation.
> I merely ask why they cannot put in their two cents at the end or put up
> their own wiki page with their concerns?  If that is not possible, then
> I don't see how alternative points of view can be protected from those
> who want to flood the middle of a presentation with their own ideas.
> What value is their in making  a presentation unreadable by putting in
> your alternative and disconsonant ideas in the middle of a presentation?

Well...you can't do what you want on a wiki, no. If I have an opinion
about your solution, the logical (and pretty much only) place for it is
in the wiki page. If I have an alternative to your solution (even if you
don't like it) it can go in the wiki page wherever I think it would fit.
  That is the nature of a wiki. If you can't handle alternate opinions
"destroying your ideas" you really do need a separate website.

> I don't want to even try to seek the solution you offer, Matt.  It may
> be a good solution, but it ends up doing something I am not trying to
> do.  I am not trying to present Niall's ideas.  I am trying to present
> mine.  My idea are very involved and this wiki page will evolve as I get
> things presented better.  I cannot do so, however, if I have to
> continually salve the needs of those who want their ideas presented in
> this space.

I am not asking you to present anybody's ideas except your own. I am
just suggesting that you make it easier for others to present ideas that
  are contrary (but completley 100% related) to yours.

I am done with this, because it really does seem you either don't
understand the concept of a wiki or you truly don't want to collaborate
with others.

Matt

Re: Struts Wiki Etiquette: Niall's Help

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Michael McGrady" <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>
> I don't want to even try to seek the solution you offer, Matt.  It may
> be a good solution, but it ends up doing something I am not trying to
> do.  I am not trying to present Niall's ideas.  I am trying to present
> mine.  My idea are very involved and this wiki page will evolve as I get
> things presented better.  I cannot do so, however, if I have to
> continually salve the needs of those who want their ideas presented in
> this space.

I may regret getting involved in this, but...

It may be that a Wiki isn't the best medium for this-- I've been trying to
follow what you're doing, but I really need to step through the code in a
debugger to understand it, and copying and pasting off of web pages isn't
high on my list of things to do.  If you provided a working example as a
.war file, zipped with some documentation, more people might take the time
to check it out.

It's great that you're so enthusiastic about your solution.  However, there
are plenty of other ways of accomplishing the same goal, and disparaging
them doesn't add any credibility to yours.  Rather than try to convince
everyone, just present your work, let it stand on its own, and don't take it
so personally if someone doesn't like it.

I believe there's a SourceForge project set up for Struts-related things,
that might be a good place to set it up.

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Struts Wiki Etiquette: Niall's Help

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
So organize your ideas offline then, when you are ready, publish them.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Hello, Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I may have to do that.

I have been using the wiki to present ideas on Struts generally and on
buttons in particular for some time and had no difficulty until I
criticised the DispatchAction solution and its progeny as well as the
ImageButtonBean.  I would like to be a part of this community if I can
do so without having to agree or to appear to agree with ideas I do not
care to advance or to advocate.  I thought and still think that this
must be possible.

I am not sure whether you are saying what I can say in criticism of
these ideas is limited here or what.  I know that I personally cannot
control, nor do I wish to, whether or not someone decides to put
something in the middle of my presentation.  That is and has been a
fact.  I more than anyone am mindful of that fact.

I don't know if there are any "rules" on that.  Don't you think there
should be?  Am I alone in thinking that putting ideas I am trying to
discard or to suggest that we discard into the middle of my presentation
is not the high water mark in courtesy?

Is this not something that is fair discussion on the Struts wiki?  I
admit that I have not been happy with having to deal with and to
reorganize constantly due to this happening.  I thought, however, that
discussing it might be better than just leaving without seeing whether
or not there were some implicit if not explict rules on this thing.

I hope you can see this at least a bit from my perspective.  Or, do you
think that my side of this deal has no validity whatsoever?  Is the
request to allow me to fill out this page and to add comments at the end
or separately totally unreasonable?

Michael McGrady

Sorry, Jim, no last word for you yet.  Please try later.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Comments inline...

You can disagree with anything you like. Just focus on the technical merits,
not personal abilities or attributes. Avoid making sweeping statements
without evidence (e.g. "Struts is bloated", "Your grasp of this particular
area on Struts seems to me to be suspect") and stick to technical specifics
that you can support and justify.

The edits I have made have been to either remove opinonated comments that I
thought were uncalled for or to insert notes making it clear that you were
expressing a personal opinion that was not neccesarily shared by all. I have
not tried to stifle your technical contributions, even where unjustifiably
(IMO) critical.

I haven't seen anyone else try to stifle you either. They have just added
additional information to help provide a more balanced argument. If
anything, you have tried to stifle criticism of your ideas by stating that
your critics do not know what they are talking about and by taking a
proprietary attitude to the Wiki.

My overriding concern is that someone will read those pages and take them as
a) official Apache Struts advice or b) a consensus view formed by the Struts
community. This whole business has made me think very carefully about those
issues and how, as a project, we can monitor the content of the Wiki to
ensure that it remains a helpful resource.

> I am not sure whether you are saying what I can say in criticism of
> these ideas is limited here or what.  I know that I personally cannot
> control, nor do I wish to, whether or not someone decides to put
> something in the middle of my presentation.  That is and has been a
> fact.  I more than anyone am mindful of that fact.
>
> I don't know if there are any "rules" on that.  Don't you think there
> should be?  Am I alone in thinking that putting ideas I am trying to
> discard or to suggest that we discard into the middle of my presentation
> is not the high water mark in courtesy?

Like the mailing list, there are no "rules" only the general consensus of
people using the Wiki. I would expect people making additions to existing
content to insert additional contributions at appropriate places. However,
"appropriate" is not defined by just one person.

> Is this not something that is fair discussion on the Struts wiki?  I
> admit that I have not been happy with having to deal with and to
> reorganize constantly due to this happening.  I thought, however, that
> discussing it might be better than just leaving without seeing whether
> or not there were some implicit if not explict rules on this thing.

As I suggested earlier, it might make more sense to organize your
contributions before posting them to the Wiki. Firstly, this will prevent
other people from making changes / additions before you have completed /
organized yours. Secondly, this would keep down the number of edits and
notifications to the dev list.

> I hope you can see this at least a bit from my perspective.  Or, do you
> think that my side of this deal has no validity whatsoever?  Is the
> request to allow me to fill out this page and to add comments at the end
> or separately totally unreasonable?

I do think you are being unreasonable in expecting people to follow your
format and directions on a public, communal Wiki. It is up to individual
contributors to decide where their contributions are most appropriate. For
the kind of control you are looking for, I think you need to set up your own
web page, with comments or not as you see fit.

If you just want to get your contributions organized before other people
start making edits, then best to do that offline where you won't be
interrupted.

Steve

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Hello, Steve,

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
The problem, Michael, is that you just don't listen when some offers you
advice. Your standard response to every criticism is "you don't understand".
As I, and others, have pointed out, you usually put it in far more
inflammatory terms than that.

It's just possible, that if several people "don't understand", that you're
not doing a very code job of explaining yourself. Expressing frustration and
telling everybody they don't know what they are doing is not a good way to
get your message across.

Regarding your confusion, there are no "standards" on this list, except
those imposed by the list members (including you). If enough people think
someone is out of line, then they will express that opinion. If people
object to my use of the description "childish" in relation to your
behaviour, then they will let me know.

However, *you* made it necessary to comment on your behaviour rather than
your code by your personally directed comments. In order to explain why
those comments were causing offence, I had to characterize the comments in a
way that would make it clear. I would defend the description of childish in
the case where someone responds to valid technical criticisms with
frustration and "you don't understand" as being similar to the behaviour of
a child who does not get their own way.

I'd really like to draw a line under this now. If you can accept that the
Wiki is a community resource, tone down the opinions (about people) and
focus on the code and I'm sure we'll all get along fine.

Steve

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Michael,

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Thanks, Martin.  Maybe a wiki is not the place to present this idea.
Maybe I should just take it down and take it elsewhere.  I have to admit
that I thought there woudl be more standards to adding to the page.  I
probably will take this elsewhere and make a link.  Michael McGrady
P.S.  Okay, Jim, you can do it now!  LOL

Re: Struts Wiki Etiquette: [Excised] Help

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:37:00 -0700, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You should realise that no wiki page is owned by any one person more
>>than any other, regardless of who creates it. Once created, it is
>>community owned, and any member of the community is free to add their
>>changes in whatever form they feel appropriate. If you want to control
>>the content and format of the page, as it appears that you do, then
>>the wiki is the wrong place for that. Instead, you should put your
>>content up on a web site that is under your control. Of course, you
>>are free, then, to add a link to that web site from the wiki.
>>
>>--
>>Martin Cooper
>>

>+1.
>
>Craig

I feel a need to add two things here.

First, the problem was not that of a wiki where people were working and
I wanted control.  The problem was one person was trying to advance an
idea and another was trying to battle it in the same space.  That is not
workable no matter what.  I would have been more than happy to cooperate
with anyone on ideas.

Second, as a somewhat humorous postscript, I moved my stuff off the
StrutsCatalog even though I had been pretty much the only person to use
the StrutsCatalog space in many months and those who advocated have the
"freedom" to what they wanted on the wiki then objected both to where my
link went to and the nature of the link.

So, I gave up and just abandoned all connection to the wiki whatsoever.
There is only so much interference worth the while.

But, on the point Martin made, I would also vote:

+1

Your turn, Jim!  ;-)

Re: Struts Wiki Etiquette: Niall's Help

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:37:00 -0700, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should realise that no wiki page is owned by any one person more
> than any other, regardless of who creates it. Once created, it is
> community owned, and any member of the community is free to add their
> changes in whatever form they feel appropriate. If you want to control
> the content and format of the page, as it appears that you do, then
> the wiki is the wrong place for that. Instead, you should put your
> content up on a web site that is under your control. Of course, you
> are free, then, to add a link to that web site from the wiki.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

+1.

Craig