Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rick Tessner <ri...@dingle.myra.com> on 2000/11/08 04:04:45 UTC

C2 : sitemaps: pipelines, views, etc questions

Hi All!

After struggling for way too long trying to get Cocoon2 running under Resin
(class-loader issues) , I finally gave in and am now using Tomcat 4.0m3.
Whattya know!  Works like a hot-damn (and fast!)

The next challange is : sitemap.xmap

I've been able to scratch together something to handle URLs like

  http://localhost:8080/cocoon/~user/blat.html etc.

using wildcards (no luck with regexp yet tho :( ).

I have a couple of questions tho

  1.  What is the use of defining multiple pipelines? Are they
      only useful if using views?
  2.  How are views best (I know, relative term ...) used?  Or better,
      are people using them out there?  If so, for what?
  3.  Ditto for resources ...

--
Rick Tessner	rick@myra.com
MYRA Systems Corp. Fone: (250) 381 1335 x125  Phax: (250) 381 1304

"Hmmm.  They have the Internet on computers now!"

Re: C2 : sitemaps: pipelines, views, etc questions

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Rick Tessner wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> After struggling for way too long trying to get Cocoon2 running under Resin
> (class-loader issues) , I finally gave in and am now using Tomcat 4.0m3.
> Whattya know!  Works like a hot-damn (and fast!)
>
> The next challange is : sitemap.xmap
>
> I've been able to scratch together something to handle URLs like
>
>   http://localhost:8080/cocoon/~user/blat.html etc.

   <map:match type="regexp" pattern="[~([^/]*)/(.*)">

results in "{1}" beeing the user, and "{2}" beeing the resource in the
users URI space.

> using wildcards (no luck with regexp yet tho :( ).
>
> I have a couple of questions tho
>
>   1.  What is the use of defining multiple pipelines? Are they
>       only useful if using views?

Every pipeline can have its own <handle-errors> tag and thus its own
error page.

>   2.  How are views best (I know, relative term ...) used?  Or better,
>       are people using them out there?  If so, for what?

Views at the moment AFAIK are only used from the command line part of C2

>   3.  Ditto for resources ...

Resources are kinda macros for a set of components
(Transformers/Serializers) which you can refer to from various points in
the pipelines with <map:rediect-to resourec="..."/>

Giacomo