Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by TL <dr...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/13 19:14:30 UTC

Nutch Search Speed Concern

Search Speed

What are the most important factors in nutch/lucene's
search speed?

I've been testing nutch's search speed on a search
pool with about 100M records (separated evenly into 30
segments), and discovered that certain search terms
have a signicantly higher search time then others.
Some searches take 30 ms while others takes upwards of
3000ms.

At first, there seemed to be a direct relationship
between the total number of results from a given query
and the timeit took to complete. But after further
testing, that relationship did not hold true for all
cases. There seems to be other factors that directly
affect the speed of a search.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Or have some
insight to the impact of certain factors on search
speed?

Thanks.

- T

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Re: [Nutch-general] RE: Nutch Search Speed Concern

Posted by og...@yahoo.com.
Hello,

--- Paul Harrison <pa...@personifi.com> wrote:

> I too would love to hear some answers on this one.  We have a 100
> million
> page implementation on 5 machines, 4 GB of ram, and 2 SATA drives of
> 250 GB
> each.  Part of what I have noticed is that Lucene does some sort of
> strange
> caching in that if you do subsequent searches on a search the return
> results
> are quite quick.  I too have noticed that different terms have

That's probably your OS/FS caching.  Lucene doesn't cache anything.

> different
> search responses and that the problem gets worse with the number of
> terms in
> the query.

Yes, that makes sense.  More complex queries will have to dig through
the index more than simple ones, consequently taking more time to
return hits.

> I have also noticed that distributed search has problems.
>  The
> main search machine waits on other machines to serve up their results
> before
> it will respond.  So it appears that your search is only as fast as
> your
> slowest responding machine or whenever the timeout hits (whichever
> comes first).

I'm no expert, but this sounds reasonable to me - what if your closest
matches happen to be in the index on the slowest search server?

Otis

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
TL wrote:
> You mentioned that as a rule of thumb each node should
> only have about 20M pages. What's the main bottleneck
> that's encountered around 20M pages? Disk i/o , cpu
> speed?

Either or both, depending on your hardware, index, traffic, etc.
CPU-time to compute results serially can average up to a second or more
with ~20M page indexes.  And the total amount of i/o time per query on
indexes this size can be more than a second.  If you can spread the i/o
over multiple spindles then it may not be the bottleneck.

Doug

Re: Nutch Search Speed Concern

Posted by TL <dr...@yahoo.com>.
You mentioned that as a rule of thumb each node should
only have about 20M pages. What's the main bottleneck
that's encountered around 20M pages? Disk i/o , cpu
speed?

Thanks.

TL

__________________________________

Posted by Jay Pound <we...@poundwebhosting.com>.
Doug,
    actually splitting the segments across the drives as individual drives
is much faster, your waiting for it to access random data so your limitation
is the harddrives random access time, 15k scsi drives can have about
4-5million pages on them before they are slower than 1 sec per search. test
out my current search engine setup, I'm running 6 harddrives 5 are 10k 9.1gb
scsi and 1 is a 15k 18gb scsi, the server is a quad xeon 550mhz with 1gb
ram, running windows 2000. no raid controller just ultra wide scsi 2
(80mbyte a sec) each drive just has a segments folder containing separate
segments without a combined index. The machine has 3 million pages indexed
for searching, its running distributed search with 6 separate servers
running, also tomcat is running on the same machine, it is using all of its
1gb of ram.
-J
PS: http://search.fromped.com
PSS: I have 8x 320gb sata drives hooked into my big server running raid 0,
it can do less searches a sec as raid 0 then the old xeon with 10k and 15k
drives. even though the scsi drives are only 55mbytes a sec and the 8x320gb
drives is over 400mbytes a sec its still slower for random accesses!!! can
anyone say nonvolital-storage, if they only made 300gb flash drives for
under $100K!!!
Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Murray,
you may will find this article interesting, especially the part about
disks.
http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=143

Stefan

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Posted by Earl Cahill <ca...@yahoo.com>.
Anyway you would post your conf/nutch-site.xml and
walk through your crawl process a bit?

Thanks,
Earl

Posted by TL <dr...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Paul and Murray,

We're running a similar setup. We have two machines
running distributed search and we're seeing decent
performance gains by using distributed search.

Our machines have similar specs to Pauls... P 4cpu's,
4 gb of ram, sata drives.

NFS would be a performance killer.

But my problem only occurs for specific searches. We
have some search terms that will search in under 50
ms, and some others that would take up to 4000 ms.

http://mail.yahoo.com

RE: Nutch Search Speed Concern

I too would love to hear some answers on this one.  We have a 100 million
page implementation on 5 machines, 4 GB of ram, and 2 SATA drives of 250 GB
each.  Part of what I have noticed is that Lucene does some sort of strange
caching in that if you do subsequent searches on a search the return results
are quite quick.  I too have noticed that different terms have different