Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> on 2013/10/27 02:31:11 UTC

Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Hi guys,

I am struggling with a problem - how to get bugs (that I care about) fixed?
I am building web apps for clients that run on Tapestry.
I am finding that I am spending more and more time working around Tapestry bugs.
The time that I spend fixing / working around bugs in Tapestry is the time I don't spend building
and fixing my own applications.  This isn't a good situation.

I originally built the FlowLogix library to bridge Tapestry with JEE, and Shiro (via Tapestry-Security)
Most of the functionality in there now is actually workarounds for various bugs and missing features in Tapestry.
I always file a JIRA for every one of them.  Minority gets fixed (after much begging) but majority isn't getting fixed.

I know there are a lot of JIRA issues and few committers.  I also know I can submit patches, but this can be dicey as well,
as that takes committers' time and energy.  Risk for me is that I can't spend time creating patches that don't get applied, or
get rejected because I don't have a separate test (even though it's mostly enough that it doesn't cause a regression,
which is covered by other tests)

I also know Tapestry community is small, and volunteer, so this problem doesn't really surprise me.
Right now, I am at a point that is getting unsustainable in this manner, especially since so many changes are
happening in T5.4, which brings much more work and more bugs to fix.

I'd like to know if any committers want to help solve this problem?  I know it can be solved.
What can be the motivating factor in getting these bugs fixed?

I will even go as far as paying for the fixes.  My clients won't pay for me to fix Tapestry,
so I would have to pay out of my own pocket, just so I don't have to lose time fixing Tapestry myself.
Any other suggestions?

Same applies to Tynamo project as well.

Re: Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:26:46 -0200, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not sure if somebody from the dev team has access to this repo, but maybe
> we should change this: enable issues and accept pull requests from
> GitHub?
> Will they be synced back to Apache's repo? If yes, maybe we should start
> using GitHub repo as a primary repo for tapestry development?

Only if Tapestry leaves the Apache Software Foundation. On the other hand,
it (the Tapestry sources mirror at Github) could be used as a way for
providing patches, I guess.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
I can also see one technical difficulty that prevents quick patches -- this
is JIRA.

JIRA is not the right tool for providing patches for a git project.

Looking at other open source projects that are hosted on GitHub you can
notice how many pull-requests are done for them.

Having pull requests being one-click away from being applied is very
important I think.

I'm not sure if this is some Apache requirement that Tapestry must store
its codebase on Apache's git repo, but there is a Tapestry 5 mirror on
GitHub:

https://github.com/apache/tapestry-5

Though very few people know about it, maybe because it's not mentioned here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/community.html#Community-SourceCodeAccess

There is also no activity on GitHub, there is even no Issues section in
there.
And also zero pull-requests and no README.md with some simple instructions
how to contribute.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
 Jochen, what you're talking about is actually GitHub Pull Requests -- they
do exactly this.

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Posted by Jochen Berger <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
If I had to pick top 3 issues, it would be these:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2208
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2182

and incorporate JQuery DatePicker into Tapestry-core

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
Dmitry, if you are using or want to use the FlowLogix library,
and have a specific issue with it, please report it via issue tracking.
I don't require patch with tests and I look at them all :)

The library is meant to be primarily a JEE bridge,
so if you really don't want any JEE dependencies, this library is not for you.
But... if there is enough interest though, I can split it up into two modules,
one JEE and one just Tapestry enhancements.
I am hoping not to do this because all of the enhancements
should really be in Tapestry itself, and I am hoping to use
this thread as a catalyst to get some of the stuff that should be in Tapestry into Tapestry anyway.

A lot of people give JEE a bad rap, which mostly stems from EJB 2.1 days (long gone now)
The only JEE dependency is the API, which requires no runtime support, if its not used.
All other dependencies are not required if they are not used.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>wrote:

> [...]

> >> environment,
> >> i.e. a Tapestry committer, the work will take much shorter amount of
> time.
> >> With all due respect, this isn't the best use of my time right now,
> >> as I have booked for more work than I can do in a day, every day.
> >> I want to be working on my clients' code, not Tapestry code.
> >> I don't want to have to get Selenium to work (which never worked in my
> >> environment)
> >> Our clients are not that advanced and we don't have integration testing,
> >> but we do a lot of unit testing.
> >> I just want to use Tapestry, report issues, and have them fixed.
> >>
> >> This problem perpetually exists in the Tapestry community,
> >> there are plenty of (valid) reasons for it (as you mentioned)
> >> but I am looking for a solution, which doesn't involve me
> >> spending more and more time on it (which I certainly do not have)

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Tapestry Bugs - How to get them fixed?

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
On Oct 27, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
> Well this a marriage made in heaven then. Thiago awhile ago said he'd be
> willing to prioritize his bug fixing list based on pay/donation. I think
> this might just work but don't be surprised how expensive it is to write
> custom software by an expert. I guarantee though you'll be able to get them
> fixed quick once the pay is right.

I've been doing software development for 25 years.  Nothing
surprises me anymore, whether on the expensive, or the cheap side.
I want to facilitate the solution here.  I am going to pay out of my own pocket,
because I feel that's how I can contribute to Tapestry more than
my time right now.

> I think Dmitry is totally right saying
> that you should just focus on one issue at a time.  If you want to keep it
> public, just set a price for a few of your highest priority ones, publish
> it here and see if anybody bites. If not, just contact individuals or wait
> them to contact you.

I would like to keep it in private for now.  If Thiago (or any other committer)
wants to take this on, please email me.

> Still, you say you don't have time to do it yourself but you have time
> write the email. I suspect that in reality, you'd like to get the bug fix
> but getting it fixed is just not high enough on your priority list. Yeah, I
> totally get the "it takes 10x for me" but even if working on open source
> takes time from you, it also gives back. Your next bug fix will be that
> much easier and faster and you learn a lot.

But then I am on the hook for maintaining it, tracking incompatible changes, etc.
for the rest of my life.  This happened in 5.3->5.4 transition, every one
of my fixes that I have in the FlowLogix library got broken, and I spent
countless unpaid hours updating this.

I do believe I have and I am contributing a lot in code / time to Tapestry community.
I've been answering questions for a long time, wrote a JEE bridge component library,
which is Apache licensed, and even helped evangelized Tapestry through networking.

> The group of committers is not
> an organization whose sole mission and highest priority is to make Tapestry
> work for as many people as possible. It's just a group of individuals with
> their own missions, desires and priorities. Until your issue scratches the
> itch of a committer, it's quite possible it's not going to be anybody
> else's top priority any more than yours.

Absolutely understandable.  Trying to find a solution to the above-described problem.

> Finally, it would have been equally correct to say this problem perpetually
> exists in the open source world. Any successful project is struggling with
> the same issues. There's always more ideas and new use cases than there are
> hands that do the work.

Yes, but I think there are too few active committers in Tapestry,
for the amount of users / issues that come up.  Other open source projects
are a lot more active about fixing issues with a lot more committers doing it.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2013, at 3:35 AM, Dmitry Gusev wrote:
> > I'm sure if you prepare well-tested pull request it will be accepted, but
> > you have to spend some time on it -- this is the price you should pay for
> > using open source for free.
> I don't have time for that.  I am willing to pay to get my bugs fixed,
> out of my own pocket (my clients won't pay for it)

Well this a marriage made in heaven then. Thiago awhile ago said he'd be
willing to prioritize his bug fixing list based on pay/donation. I think
this might just work but don't be surprised how expensive it is to write
custom software by an expert. I guarantee though you'll be able to get them
fixed quick once the pay is right. I think Dmitry is totally right saying
that you should just focus on one issue at a time.  If you want to keep it
public, just set a price for a few of your highest priority ones, publish
it here and see if anybody bites. If not, just contact individuals or wait
them to contact you.

Still, you say you don't have time to do it yourself but you have time
write the email. I suspect that in reality, you'd like to get the bug fix
but getting it fixed is just not high enough on your priority list. Yeah, I
totally get the "it takes 10x for me" but even if working on open source
takes time from you, it also gives back. Your next bug fix will be that
much easier and faster and you learn a lot. The group of committers is not
an organization whose sole mission and highest priority is to make Tapestry
work for as many people as possible. It's just a group of individuals with
their own missions, desires and priorities. Until your issue scratches the
itch of a committer, it's quite possible it's not going to be anybody
else's top priority any more than yours.

Finally, it would have been equally correct to say this problem perpetually
exists in the open source world. Any successful project is struggling with
the same issues. There's always more ideas and new use cases than there are
hands that do the work.

We should investigate integrating (and advertise making!) pull requests, I
think that's quite possible nowadays and I believe some Apache projects are
already doing it.

Kalle

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.