Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Bryce Leo <li...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/17 00:48:26 UTC

Organizing the Mailing List

As harmony is just getting started, there is a great deal of good
suggestions, questions and offers for help. Ever since the Slashdot
announcement I personally think that the number of people whom have
joined and offered their services has clearly gone up and to promote
organization I'm proposing a naming scheme for subject of emails. The
Bulletin board style tags are just to promote reading ease.

First lets look at what seem to be the larger topics of discussion.

[BigCategories]
JVM: The Java Virtual Machine, where to start, different available
codebases and strategies.

Compiler: Creating a javac like tool.

Documentation: It's always easier to document as you go along and well
documented code can save tons of time in tracking down bugs.

Libraries: Which ones to choose or develop individually

Tools: The associated java tools, applet viewer, jar, etc.

Introduction: This would be used for if your'e introducing yourself,
listing prior experience, etc.

DevPriority: The overall discussion of which parts of harmony should
be developed first.

Target OS: Seems small but it doesn't belong as a part of any other so
it gets its own.

Licensing: Should really be a minor concern for now, once we pick up
steam this issue will be logically sorted out. It's and
inter-dependancy (i apologize if i used the word wrong), choosing a
licence effects our code base choices and visa-versa

Below these would be sub-categories that would provide more insight
into the larger topic.

[SmallCategories]
Suggestion: General suggestion(s) for a particular topic.

Questions: Questions about a particular topic.

DevPriority: Probably shouldn't be used yet, would be used for
sub-development. i.e. What order things should be developed for the
compiler.

So say for example you wanted to send a brand new suggestion for the
JVM the topic of the post would be "JVM--Suggestion" and if you wanted
to ask a questions about a compiler it would be "Compiler--question"
and so on like that.

This should be friendly for both threaded and un-threaded mail
clients. And under this system this mail would be
"Organization--Organization" but for now that's irrelevant.

I think this system would really help focus the group and allow people
to easily tune in to what interests them and keep a tab on the general
flow of the project, while right now things seem a bit "willy-nilly".

What do you think?
--
~Bryce Leo

--Veritas Vos Liberabis--

Posted by usman bashir <gr...@gmail.com>.
It will be really great if we can manage the threads like that, as keeping
stuff manageable is also helpfull in further documentation and reference and
repitative threads can be avoided as well.
so i put my hand to manage them. and i ll post them on wiki from where u can
take on.

--
Usman Bashir
Certified IBM XML Solution Developer

Re: Organizing the Mailing List

Posted by Bryce Leo <li...@gmail.com>.
I really suggested it because I got a bit frustrated when the subject
line was "Java" and the discussion diverged into project leads,
introductions, bug management, getting started suggestions,  and where
the project should start it's programming (this is just one example
there are others). I figured if the subject was a more directed title
we'd not have those sort of digressions. I've always operated under
the "organization promotes efficiency" idea. And yes I would say that
this one list is fine as long as we manage to keep a vague sense of
organization and stick to topic better.

--
~Bryce Leo

--Veritas Vos Liberabis--

Posted by Ahmed Saad <my...@gmail.com>.
that would be great so people can stop worring about the legal side... and
if anyone wants to know about the current legal situation s/he could check
that list.

Posted by Stuart Still <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmed Saad <my...@gmail.com>.
can we push some priorities rather than running everywhere.. like

1. decide on a language to use: c, c++, java (did i hear pascal)
2 . an architecture
3. ....

According to this architecture we will divide our efforts. So we can focus
on more specific subjects
and may be we can do more organized studies about how other open similiar
projects did X or Y and whether we gonna for for them or build it from the
scratch. We need a priority list and we, i hope all will, can resolve each
items in order. i think we can get to work faster that way.

comments?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Posted by Ahmed Saad <my...@gmail.com>.