Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andriy Yanov <An...@ericpol.pl> on 2006/03/30 07:10:04 UTC

Repository relocated to wrong path

Hello everyone,

Here is what happened:
1. Due to some server problems, we were forced to move SVN to another
server.
2. By mistake, in *relocate* instead of typing new URL as
http://new_server/my_project (on local workstation)
    I typed
http://new_server/my_project/trunk
So, logically, I couldn't update SVN.

What I tried:
1. Use *relocate* command again - didn't help, since I tried to change
relative path, not server. (Error: Working copy path 'trunk' does not
exist in repository )
2. Switch also didn't help for some reason.

The question is: what should be done to correct mistake?

I've copied previously local project copy, but relocating old part made
the copy relocated also.
Also, downloading full repository again is the last what is to be tried,
since it's quite large.

Re: Repository relocated to wrong path

Posted by Andriy Yanov <An...@ericpol.pl>.
Madan U S wrote:

>On Thursday 30 Mar 2006 12:40 pm, Andriy Yanov wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>Here is what happened:
>>

>[snip]
>

>>The question is: what should be done to correct mistake?
>>

>1. I hope you have a backup. :)
>2. To *fix* your working copy, here  are the details you need...
>
>    - Every folder (1) in the working copy has a .svn  folder
>    - Every .svn folder has an 'entries' file
>    - Every 'entries' file has one entry per version-controlled file present
>in folder(1)
>    - It also has params like 'repos:' and 'url:'
>    - These 'repos' and 'url' params are used to determine where the repos is
>(you can check this with the 'svn info' command)
>

>     So, if you can write a script, to tweak these parameters in
>the .svn/entries file for every folder in the wc, to represent the correct
>repos location, you are good to go.
>
>     In fact, this is what 'svn switch --relocate' does internally (in
>addition to checking stuff like uid, to make sure both refer to the same
>repos - In your case, its pretty obvious that they are... so you shouldnt
>have to worry about that)
>
>HTH.
>
>Regards,
>Madan.

Thanks, this really helped. Though, my working copy failed to update
correctly, backup copy with modified entries file was updated successfully.

Regards,
Andriy

RE: Repository relocated to wrong path

Posted by Madan U S <ma...@collab.net>.
On Thursday 30 Mar 2006 12:40 pm, Andriy Yanov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Here is what happened:
[snip]