Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Menaka Madushanka <me...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/11 20:56:59 UTC

Parallel index creation and access implementation - JIRA Issue VXQuery-209

Hello everyone,

As per the discussion with Steven on 7th June, I'm working on the $subject.
For this week (since June 7th) I was going through the code and debugged
the system several times with collection queries and indexing queries to
understand the process of query execution and rules system.

According to what I gained from it and also taking to Steven, the
collection queries run time is not specified and for index queries it is
specified. And the partitioning works only for collection queries because
all other queries are filtered out in AbstractCollectionRule.java.
For collection queries, the pa

I'm working on finding a method to integrate the indexing queries to use
the same rule set.
I have some questions about this as it's not totally c;ear to me.

   1. In collection queries, for parallalizaton, the DATASCAN Operator is
   used. (As I understood). Is that the only thing required for that?
   2. Are there operators for index creation and access?

But when thinking about the future plans such as updating queries and
dynamically deciding whether to use index, I think that a separate rules
set specific to indexing must be implemented.
So in any case, as those rules are separate from collection rules, any
future modification can be done easily. (As indexing is in it's first
stages, assuming that there would be more future extensions)

I greatly appreciate any feedback on this and also correct me if there is
something wrong or misunderstood.

Thank you very much.
Menaka

--