Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/06 23:42:44 UTC

Nuking tables on tearDown() for CRUD tests

Hello,

I'm doing CRUD tests on a collection of integrated entities in a shared
persistence unit, and am encountering some errors because of crufty tables
from previous tests.  I'm looking for a means of guaranteeing that the
tables for each of my entities is devoid of entries after each test runs.
The appropriate place to do this would be in the tearDown() method of the
unit test class.

My environment is OpenEJB (3.0.0 core, latest snapshot), OpenJPA and an
in-memory HSQLDB.  OS X on Java 5.

At the moment, I've implemented a stateless session bean to manage
persistence for me.  It's using an injected entity manager to perform a
series of DELETE statements.  Here's how the EM is set up:

    @PersistenceContext(unitName = "party-test-unit", type =
PersistenceContextType.TRANSACTION)
    private EntityManager entityManager;

I want to stress that I was previously removing entries from the database by
getting a list of components of a given class, then iteratively deleting
them.  This worked just fine, but was very inefficient and slowed down the
builds more than was acceptable.

My clear() method defines a String[] of table names, then recursively
creates a Query("DELETE FROM " + table) for each of the bean class names in
the package I'm testing. Here is the code:

    public void clear() {
        Set<Query> queries = new HashSet<Query>();
        String[] types = {
                "Address",
                "AssociatedAddress",
                "EmailAddress",
                "GeographicAddress",
                "ISOCountryCode",
                "Locale",
                "TelecomAddress",
                "WebPageAddress",
                "AssignedResponsibility",
                "Capability",
                "PartyRelationship",
                "PartyRelationshipType",
                "PartyRole",
                "PartyRoleType",
                "Responsibility",
                "Organization",
                "OrganizationName",
                "Party",
                "PartySignature",
                "Person",
                "PersonName",
                "Preference",
                "PreferenceOption",
                "PreferenceType",
                "Property",
                "RegisteredIdentifier"};
        for(String table : types) {
            queries.add(entityManager.createQuery("DELETE FROM " + table));
        }
        for(Query query : queries) query.executeUpdate();
    }

This method *usually* works.  However, sometimes I get *very* strange
nonapplication exceptions that are causing what appear to be intermittent
test failures.  By intermittent I mean a given unit test method might pass
during one "mvn clean build" process, then fail immediately afterward during
a second "mvn clean build" process, without any alterations to the source or
testing code.  This happens on some tests, sometimes, and not on others,
other times, and I can discern no clear pattern.  One example of the error
output is listed at the bottom of this message.

So, what I'm really looking for is a performant way to guarantee that my
tables are empty between unit tests, so that I'm essentially starting from a
completely clean environment.  I welcome any suggestions, and will even
entertain non-specification compliant mechanisms provided by OpenEJB or
OpenJPA to accomplish this.

Dain mentioned that I might completely drop and restart OpenEJB between
tests.  He also mentioned that OpenJPA might have a way to wipe the database
tables clean for a given persistence unit.

I'm interested in any ideas or feedback about this.

Alexander R. Saint Croix

As promised, here is the error:
Test set: org.eremite.corm.party.PersistenceTest
Tests run: 8, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 5.749 sec
<<< FAILURE!
testPartySignatureAnnotations(org.eremite.corm.party.PersistenceTest)  Time
elapsed: 0.466 sec  <<< ERROR!
javax.ejb.EJBException: The bean encountered a non-application exception.;
nested exception is:
    <openjpa-1.0.1-r420667:592145 fatal general error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException: no-saved-fields
    at org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.BaseEjbProxyHandler.convertException(
BaseEjbProxyHandler.java:366)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.BaseEjbProxyHandler.invoke(
BaseEjbProxyHandler.java:323)
    at org.apache.openejb.util.proxy.Jdk13InvocationHandler.invoke(
Jdk13InvocationHandler.java:49)
    at $Proxy19.clear(Unknown Source)
    at org.eremite.corm.party.PersistenceTest.testPartySignatureAnnotations(
PersistenceTest.java:189)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:110)
    at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:128)
    at org.junit.internal.runners.OldTestClassRunner.run(
OldTestClassRunner.java:35)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4TestSet.execute(
JUnit4TestSet.java:62)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.suite.AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.executeTestSet(
AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.java:138)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.suite.AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.execute(
AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.java:125)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.Surefire.run(Surefire.java:132)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.runSuitesInProcess(
SurefireBooter.java:290)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.main(
SurefireBooter.java:818)
Caused by: <openjpa-1.0.1-r420667:592145 fatal general error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException: no-saved-fields
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.dirtyCheck(
StateManagerImpl.java:799)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl$ManagedCache.dirtyCheck(
BrokerImpl.java:4620)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl$ManagedCache.access$000(
BrokerImpl.java:4360)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.hasTransactionalObjects(
BrokerImpl.java:3739)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.setDirty(BrokerImpl.java:3856)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.setPCState(
StateManagerImpl.java:207)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.dirty(
StateManagerImpl.java:1532)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.dirty(
StateManagerImpl.java:1471)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.dirtyCheck(
StateManagerImpl.java:808)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl$ManagedCache.dirtyCheck(
BrokerImpl.java:4620)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl$ManagedCache.access$000(
BrokerImpl.java:4360)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.hasTransactionalObjects(
BrokerImpl.java:3739)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.setDirty(BrokerImpl.java:3856)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.setPCState(
StateManagerImpl.java:205)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.delete(
StateManagerImpl.java:1070)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.delete(BrokerImpl.java:2518)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.SingleFieldManager.delete(
SingleFieldManager.java:387)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.SingleFieldManager.delete(
SingleFieldManager.java:373)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.SingleFieldManager.delete(
SingleFieldManager.java:330)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.SingleFieldManager.delete(
SingleFieldManager.java:284)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.cascadeDelete(
StateManagerImpl.java:2817)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.delete(BrokerImpl.java:2517)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.BrokerImpl.delete(BrokerImpl.java:2482)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl.deleteInMemory(QueryImpl.java
:1020)
    at
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.ExpressionStoreQuery$DataStoreExecutor.executeDelete
(ExpressionStoreQuery.java:684)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl.delete(QueryImpl.java:1008)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl.execute(QueryImpl.java:801)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl.deleteAll(QueryImpl.java:866)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.QueryImpl.deleteAll(QueryImpl.java:862)
    at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.DelegatingQuery.deleteAll(
DelegatingQuery.java:541)
    at org.apache.openjpa.persistence.QueryImpl.executeUpdate(QueryImpl.java
:314)
    at org.eremite.corm.party.BeanManagerImpl.clear(BeanManagerImpl.java:66)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at
org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext$Invocation.invoke
(ReflectionInvocationContext.java:146)
    at
org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.ReflectionInvocationContext.proceed(
ReflectionInvocationContext.java:129)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.interceptor.InterceptorStack.invoke(
InterceptorStack.java:67)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer._invoke(
StatelessContainer.java:210)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer._invoke(
StatelessContainer.java:188)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(
StatelessContainer.java:165)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler.businessMethod(
EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:217)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler._invoke(
EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:77)
    at org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.BaseEjbProxyHandler.invoke(
BaseEjbProxyHandler.java:321)
    ... 26 more

Re: Nuking tables on tearDown() for CRUD tests

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
Jacek,

Thank you very much for the reply. I am using an in-memory db, and I tried
the property below with no success.  Because the db is in memory, there's
nothing to delete in the file system.

Cheers,
--
Alex

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
This only works if he shuts down OpenEJB between each test method,
which would be slow.

-dain

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
David, Dain and I tested this last night, and here's the final conclusion we
came to.

The initial problem was that retrieving and iterating over a list of the
entities from the entity manager and deleting them one at a time is
incredibly slow (one of my test cases took 4 minutes and 23 seconds to run
through ten test methods for less than 100 entity instances) and the tests
slowed down to a crawl.  The persistence provider (in this case OpenJPA)
isn't built for this sort of usage, so we decided to try a second technique
involving executing native SQL queries directly against the database by way
of the EntityManager.

The queries we determined to run were a sequence of "DELETE FROM foo"
queries, where "foo" is replaced with the name of the actual table / class.
Thus, for Person objects, we'd execute a "DELETE FROM Person" query.

However, this is a potentially dangerous practice as well, for reasons which
are now clear.  I was deleting tables in an order that did not take into
consideration maintaining referential integrity of foreign keys.  Because
many of my objects are tightly integrated, it is important to delete the
tables in a particular order, such that reference objects are wiped clean
first.

I was able to isolate this behavior by experimentally altering the order of
table deletions.  Certain cases would always throw errors, others would
throw none.  The errors each had a characteristic error stack trace with
many repetitions of the following line:

WARN - Unexpected exception from afterCompletion; continuing
> <openjpa-1.0.1-r420667:592145 fatal general error>
> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException: no-saved-fields
>         at org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.dirtyCheck(
> StateManagerImpl.java:799)

So, anywhere an entity table has a foreign key column you need to either
perform a cascading delete with the entityManager, nullify the reference
(assuming the foreign key columns are optional), or make certain to delete
the referencing bean first.

The recommended method to clear the foreign key columns is to run update
queries.  This is a good mechanism for breaking circular references on
teardown. An example looks like this:

"UPDATE Customer c set.myfk = null"

So, to sum things up, direct deletion against the database is much faster
than working through the EntityManager interface in some cases, but you need
to determine the precise order you are tearing items down, or design your
tests so that they are resilient to cruft in the database, if you intend on
running tests with an embedded OpenEJB container.

For the record, we also tried setting up the POM for the project to fork the
testing JVM, but this mechanism does not create a new JVM for each test
METHOD.  It only creates a new JVM for each test CASE.

I'm now running direct deletes, and being sensitive about foreign key
references, deletion order, and circular loops.  My final solution will
initially include a combination of direct deletes and EntityManager remove
calls via OpenJPA, and I will iteratively tune it until I've got a reliable
scraping method for my library.

One suggestion / idea for the future would be to provide a tool to analyze a
persistence unit and generate this sort of fast delete mechanism as an array
of query strings that could be serialized for any given persistence unit and
marshalled when needed for rapid clearing of the database during entity
tests.

A great big thanks to everyone on both teams who helped me isolate and
resolve this issue.
--
Alexander R. Saint Croix.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Fwd: Nuking tables on tearDown() for CRUD tests

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.org>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
I'll try moving the string array into the client and running each delete in
a separate transaction.  I'll also see if altering the order of deletes
helps the process along.  Some of the relationships entail cascading
deletes, others do not, and not all are bidirectional, so depending on how
sensitive the data source or persistence provider are, I might have to go
carefully through the entities and figure out the proper order for them to
be deleted.  If some rules could be derived about that, we might look into
building tools to assist with this sort of process later on.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I have to admit, working on this is
addictive.

Cheers, and thanks!
--
Alex

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the reply, Patrick.

If this indicates a possibly difficult-to-reproduce bug either in OpenEJB or
in OpenJPA, I'm happy to help track it down.

The project I'm working on is open source under the AFL 3.0 license, so I'll
be happy to post a current tarball (I'm sorry, no anonymous svn access at
the moment) if you'd like to take a look.  It uses a maven 2 build, so you
should be able to just pull it down and build it.  There is a single
dependency to jscience.org, another opensource project that doesn't have
publicly accessible maven POMs on ibiblio or the like, so you'd have to
install that.  Again, I suggest this only if you think it'd help you track
things down.

I can post the tarball and drop you a heads-up later today.

Best Regards,
--
Alexander

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll ask the OpenEJB guys if this is possible.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Alex
>

> On Jan 6, 2008 7:46 PM, Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > This error is related to dynamic runtime enhancement (my guess). If you
> > can,
> > switch to build-time enhancement, to verify this guess.
> > --

Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: Nuking tables on tearDown() for CRUD tests

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.org>.
I don't recognise the exception, but I can recommend DbUnit to manage inserting
and deleting data. I also don't delete data in your situation that isn't going
to change, e.g. country-code.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.