Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by Mike Rheinheimer <ro...@ohmyhead.com> on 2010/06/14 19:59:42 UTC

switch from Google license header plugin to RAT?

Hi, there was a request during the last release process on the PMC
list to remove the header checking during regular maven builds of
Wink.  It was cluttering up the output, and the suggestion was to do
it only in the CIBuild profile.  I'm ok with this change, however, it
introduces the opportunity to push code or changes that don't have
license headers.  My workflow does not typically involve doing a
CIBuild.  I could very easily see myself accidentally committing
something that lacks the header, which would be caught later during a
Hudson build.  Regardless, in the interest of satisfying PMCs,
cleaning up our build output, and making the build (marginally)
faster, is everyone ok with this change?

In addition, we are currently using a Google maven plugin to do this
license header check:

            <plugin>
                <groupId>com.google.code.maven-license-plugin</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-license-plugin</artifactId>

The current trend is to move toward using ARAT (or RAT) project to do
this:  http://incubator.apache.org/rat/.  This will supposedly perform
the same checks that the maven-licence-plugin did, with the added
benefit of adding the header if we forget.  The good news there is
that this clears up the potential problem of only doing licence header
checks in the CIBuild profile I mentioned above.  I'll test RAT to
make sure it's doing what we want, and post a Jira with patch for your
review.

Everyone ok with this?

Thanks.
mike

Re: switch from Google license header plugin to RAT?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:50 PM, Mike Rheinheimer wrote:

> Certainly it is a useful tool, and will become better as time goes on,
> especially since it's an Apache project.  I just don't think it's
> quite there yet versus the Google license header plugin.  It'll get
> there, and hopefully soon, though I have yet to see any activity on my
> Jiras from several weeks ago.  So it goes..

Well, evidently not good enough to flag wink-itests/wink-itest/wink-itest-contentencode/pom.xml as a problem... ;-)

--kevan

Re: switch from Google license header plugin to RAT?

Posted by Mike Rheinheimer <ro...@ohmyhead.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Rheinheimer <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Rheinheimer <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse A Ramos <jr...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 from me as well.

Let me know if you plan to make this change for 1.1.1. Otherwise I'll
continue working on getting that out.

From:
Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>
To: