Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Vyakaranam, Prakash" <pr...@eds.com> on 2003/10/16 15:46:00 UTC

Tar problems

I've had these problems even with 0.30.0 release...

I downloaded the latest subversion tar ball 0.31.0.tar.gz.

Ftp'd in binary format to the unix box running Solaris 8 (Ultra-2).
I keep getting this directory checksum error.

x subversion-0.31.0/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris, 0 bytes,
0 tape blocks
subversion-0.31.0/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion,
0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
subversion-0.31.0/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/
javahl, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
subversion-0.31.0/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/
javahl/Test, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
tar: directory checksum error

The files do exist, as I can tell, from WinZip. I tried it on two different
Solaris boxes, same issue. There is probably another way, unzip on the PC
and move everything to the unix box. Ftp doesn't allow me to move all the
files and directories at once... I can do it by mounting the unix directory
to my PC using samba. But, this shouldn't happen, right? Something I'm
messing up?

Thanks

Re: Tar problems

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:46:00AM -0500, Vyakaranam, Prakash wrote:
> I've had these problems even with 0.30.0 release...
>
> I downloaded the latest subversion tar ball 0.31.0.tar.gz.
>
> Ftp'd in binary format to the unix box running Solaris 8 (Ultra-2).
> I keep getting this directory checksum error.
>
> x subversion-0.31.0/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris, 0 bytes,
> 0 tape blocks

Try using GNU tar, which is available as a Solaris package from
http://www.sunfreeware.com/.

Solaris tar has some very serious bugs^Wlimitations, especially with long path
names, which tend to occur quite frequently with java applications.

--ben

Re: Tar problems

Posted by Paul Gross <pa...@grosss.net>.
I got these errors as well (only on Solaris, I believe).  Just use the -i
flag on tar which ignores directory checksum errors, and it all works fine.

Paul Gross
paul@grosss.net

Re: Tar problems

Posted by "Michael S. Liebman" <m-...@northwestern.edu>.
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:46:00AM -0500, Vyakaranam, Prakash wrote:
> The files do exist, as I can tell, from WinZip. I tried it on two different
> Solaris boxes, same issue.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are incompatibilities between
Sun's tar and GNU tar. I'd make sure you are using the GNU version.

Michael

--
Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman@northwestern.edu
                  http://msl521.freeshell.org/