Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Oswaldo Caballero <os...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/06 16:45:29 UTC

Log4j2 databaseAppender does not write to the database. It was working before!

Hi,

First of all, sorry if I'm posting to the wrong list. If that's the
case, I'll be grateful if someone redirects me to the correct list.

Well, my problem is with the databaseAppender in log4j2 beta 8. It was
working OK two weeks ago but now it does not write to the log table. I
must say that I'm using a pretty standard XML configuration file where I
have a  FastRollingFile (which works perfectly)  and the
databaseAppender. The file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration status="trace">
     <appenders>
         <Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
             <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t] %-5level
%logger{36} - %msg%n"/>
         </Console>
         <FastRollingFile name="FastRollingFile"
fileName="/home/oswcab/workspace/harvester/logs/harvester.log"
filePattern="logs/$${date:yyyy-MM}/harvester-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log.gz">
             <PatternLayout pattern="%d [%t] %-5level %logger{36} - %L
%M - %msg%n"/>
             <Policies>
                 <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy/>
                 <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="50 MB"/>
             </Policies>
             <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="20"/>
         </FastRollingFile>
         <JDBC name="databaseAppender" tableName="harvester.logs">
             <ConnectionFactory
class="ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester.DataConnection"
method="getConnection"/>
             <Column name="Date" isEventTimestamp="true"/>
             <Column name="Level" pattern="%level"/>
             <Column name="Logger" pattern="%logger"/>
             <Column name="Description" pattern="%message"/>
             <Column name="Exception" pattern="%ex{full}"/>
         </JDBC>
     </appenders>
     <loggers>
         <logger name="ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester" level="trace">
             <appender-ref ref="FastRollingFile"/>
         </logger>
         <root level="trace">
             <appender-ref ref="databaseAppender"/>
         </root>
     </loggers>
</configuration>

The log4j2 logger does not report any error and the databaseAppender is
correctly initialized.

I've read many times the Configuration and Appenders sections on the
online guide and I've tried to change the way the database connection is
obtained by replacing the <ConnectionFactory> tag with a <DriverManager>
tag:

<DriverManager url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/harvester"
username="root" password="***" />

without success.

I've also interchanged the assigned appender on the loggers section:

<loggers>
         <logger name="ca.umontreal.cenr.quinoa.harvester" level="trace">
             <appender-ref ref="databaseAppender"/>
         </logger>
         <root level="trace">
             <appender-ref ref="FastRollingFile"/>
         </root>
  </loggers>

and the FastRollingFile appender continues to work without a problem,
but the databaseAppender do not.

I must say finally that the application writes to the database without
problems and that the database configuration has not being modified in
any way.

May be I'm overlooking something obvious but right now I do not know
what's wrong.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Best regards,

Oswaldo

Re: Log4j2 databaseAppender does not write to the database. It was working before!

Posted by Oswaldo Caballero <os...@gmail.com>.
Well, it's working again!  I don't think it has a direct relation, but what I did was to truncate the MySQL table it was using to write the log to. After that, the logger began to write to the database as before. May be the table was corrupted? Because it's not a question of disk space, the database server has plenty of free space on it.  Anyway, it's working again and I hope the problem will not return.

Finally, I want just to thank the apache log4j team for a great work and to thank you for your valuable help.

Best regards,

Oswaldo

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com