Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org> on 2007/04/01 02:55:32 UTC

Re: [general] What platforms do we support?

On 3/31/07, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > Over the past few months I've been experimenting with various platform
> > configurations to run the build tests on and I've been running into
> > enormous hurdles that seem to all be turning out to be undocumented
> > platform requirements.
> >
> > Currently, the downloads page [1] separates the available snapshots
> > into three platforms; Windows 32-bit, Linux 32-bit and Linux 64-bit.
> > All of these platforms are Intel-based x86, one would have to guess.
>
> I agree we should have explicit machine requirements listed alongside
> the download links.
>
> > The Wiki has a section called "porting matrix" [2], which seems
> > specific to DRLVM.
>
> That should cover both DRLVM and the class library code.
>
> > This seems to indicate that only the latest
> > platforms are supported; IA32 with SSE/SSE2 (what does that even
> > mean?) on Linux and WinXP/2003, IA64 and AMD64 on Linux.
>
> SSE/SSE2 refers to the extended instruction set.
>
> > What I have found anecdotally is
> > * Classlib blows chunks on Windows 2000 because of the AWT/Swing code.
> > * DRLVM blows chunks, hard, on Pentium III and Pentium III Xeon systems
> > * IBM's VM works on Windows 2000, 2003, XP and on P3+ systems
> >
> > My point being, this is confusing. At the very least, it's not clearly
> > documented; does the classlib have different requirements or the same
> > as DRLVM? DRLVM can't run on P3 chips; isn't that a little silly? How
> > many P3-based servers are there out there that run J2EE app servers?
> >
> > Regardless, I think we need to come to a common understanding
> > (decision), document it and test against it.
>
> We sure can do a better job of describing the current requirements.  We
> could also agree on what platforms (OS/processor combinations) are most
> interesting, but of course it requires work to ensure ongoing 'support'
> for each one.  Without people stepping up to provide code and testing
> etc. then a platform will fall into disrepair.  Similarly, if somebody
> is willing to invest their time in a platform we don't think is
> interesting I doubt we would stop them.  So we've kinda got what we've got.
>
> The Porting Matrix table is looking pretty good.  We can fix up a few bits.
>
> I'd call out the current IA32 processor support as "Intel Pentium 3 CPU
> with MMX, SSE, and SSE2 support (i.e. Centrino) or better".  You may be
> able to persuade the VM/JIT people to codegen for a regular Pentium 3
> with MMX, and SSE, the class library doesn't really care.
>
> I'd call out the current Windows OS support as "Windows 2000
> Professional with SP3, or better". Not sure that we have anyone testing
> on that version, but I'd be interested to know if people don't think
> that is achievable.

I have a Windows 2000 (on a P3) box running buildtest now, but it's
blowing up. I couldn't get DRLVM to do much of anything. The classlib
+ ibmvm runs, but the tests for AWT/Swing always fail because they're
dependent on some XP/2003 library.

-Nathan

Re: [classlib][awt/swing] Windows version dependencies? (was: Re: [general] What platforms do we support?)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/4/10, Pavlenko, Andrey A <an...@intel.com>:
> I'll attach a new patch without asserts.
Andrey, your new patch does not check that DrawThemeBackground is found.

SY, Alexey

Re: [classlib][awt/swing] Windows version dependencies? (was: Re: [general] What platforms do we support?)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/4/10, Pavlenko, Andrey A <an...@intel.com>:
> Alexey,
>
> AFAIU the method drawXpBackground() should not be invoked under win2000,
Ok, but then you should avoid calling of this method but not just call
assert inside.

SY, Alexey

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
So I was right in my concerns...

I would change the patch to something like the following...
=== cut ===
static void (__stdcall *drawThemeBackground) (void*, void*, int, int,
void*, void*) = NULL;
static int isUxThemeAvailable = 1;

 JNIEXPORT void JNICALL
Java_org_apache_harmony_awt_theme_windows_WinThemeGraphics_drawXpBackground
         (JNIEnv * env, jclass clazz, jlong gip, jint x, jint y, jint
w, jint h,
          jlong hTheme, jint type, jint state) {

    if (isUxThemeAvailable && drawThemeBackground == NULL) {
        HMODULE libUxTheme = LoadLibrary("UxTheme");
        isUxThemeAvailable = libUxTheme != NULL;

        if (isUxThemeAvailable) {
            drawThemeBackground = (void (__stdcall *) (void*, void*,
int, int, void*, void*)) GetProcAddress(libUxTheme,
"DrawThemeBackground");
            isUxThemeAvailable = drawThemeBackground != NULL;
        }
    }

    if (!isUxThemeAvailable)
        return;

     GraphicsInfo *gi = (GraphicsInfo *)gip;

     RECT bounds = { (int)x, (int)y, (int)x + (int)w, (int)y + (int)h };
    drawThemeBackground((void*) hTheme, (void*) gi->hdc, (int) type,
(int) state, (void*) &bounds, (void*) NULL);
 }
=== cut ===

Disclaimer. I've never tested this code and I'm diving in Egypt. So I
do not guarantee that this code is ok! :)

SY, Alexey

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Pavlenko, Andrey A" <an...@intel.com>.
Alexey,

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Andrey,

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
Sweet. I'm looking at it and testing it now. Thanks.

-Nathan

Posted by "Pavlenko, Andrey A" <an...@intel.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.