Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Gregor Karlinger <gr...@iaik.at> on 2000/10/24 08:15:24 UTC

XML Schema grammar question

Hi all,

I am aware that this question is a bit off-topic, but maybe some
of you could provide an answer anyway.

What is the exact meaning of the namespace="##other" declaration
within a schema wildcard element (<any>)?

Does this restriction apply

(a) for the children of the element whose content model
    has defined the <any> element?

(b) for all successor elements of the element, i.e. also
    for grandchildren etc.?

Thanks, Gregor
Gregor Karlinger
mailto://gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at
Phone +43 316 873 5541
Austria

Re: XML Schema grammar question

Posted by Eric Ye <er...@locus.apache.org>.

> What is the exact meaning of the namespace="##other" declaration
> within a schema wildcard element (<any>)?

That means any element from any namespace except this target namespace(the
TargetNS of this schema) can be put in this position.

> Does this restriction apply
>
> (a) for the children of the element whose content model
>     has defined the <any> element?

No,  it is just for the element itself.

> (b) for all successor elements of the element, i.e. also
>     for grandchildren etc.?

No.

_____

Eric Ye * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * ericye@locus.apache.org