Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> on 2010/03/09 12:31:03 UTC

Revised 3 top items for status

... of which I've addressed two that were there before, and now have a list of 5.  Which are most important?

=== A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation ===
  1. End-user documentation needs to be converted into a usable form
  1. Packaged RedHat and Windows installers need to be developed
  1. Strategy is needed for developing an Active Directory authority service, for mapping Kerberos principals to AD SIDs
  1. Testing strategy under Apache needs development
  1. User community needs to be expanded

Karl

Re: Revised 3 top items for status

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:

> Lukáš Vlček wrote:
>
>> Karl,
>>
>> would it be possible to write at least short info about how to implement a
>> new Connector? I looked at wiki pages but did not find this information
>> (or
>> is it in the LaTeX user doc?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lukas
>>

> It's not in the LaTeX documentation; I had intended to write up a document
> in the Wiki, which I was actually intending to start tackling today. ;-)
>
> In the meantime, it would be great if somebody on this list tried to set up
> an installation of LCF based on the instructions I've already written.  I
> went through that exercise here last week, but then again I'd written them
> myself, so how useful can that be? ;-)

Oh, better then nothing! :-)
It is on my TODO list to do this exercise of setting LCF. I will try to make
this task top priority for me in the following days.

Posted by Ralph Benjamin Ruijs <ra...@gmail.com>.
>>> It's not in the LaTeX documentation; I had intended to write up a
>>> document
>>> in the Wiki, which I was actually intending to start tackling today. ;-)
>>>
>>> In the meantime, it would be great if somebody on this list tried to set
>>> up
>>> an installation of LCF based on the instructions I've already written.  I
>>> went through that exercise here last week, but then again I'd written
>>> them
>>> myself, so how useful can that be? ;-)
>>
>> I just finished to set-up an installation of LCF based on your
>> instructions. I found out my Solr installation wasn't working
>> correctly and tomcat wasn't running as the user I thought it was,
>> everything else went fine.
>>

> Thanks for doing this!
>
> Can you elaborate what went wrong with the SOLR connector?  That connector
> was whipped together in a couple of days, and I don't have a good testbed
> for it here yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues.  Or were
> you saying that it was SOLR itself that was misconfigured on your setup?

At first it wasn't clear to me that the connector uses Solr Cell to
send the documents. When I changed the update url, I found out the
tika jar was missing.

Ralph

Re: Revised 3 top items for status

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.
Ralph Benjamin Ruijs wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> It's not in the LaTeX documentation; I had intended to write up a document
>> in the Wiki, which I was actually intending to start tackling today. ;-)
>>
>> In the meantime, it would be great if somebody on this list tried to set up
>> an installation of LCF based on the instructions I've already written.  I
>> went through that exercise here last week, but then again I'd written them
>> myself, so how useful can that be? ;-)
>
> I just finished to set-up an installation of LCF based on your
> instructions. I found out my Solr installation wasn't working
> correctly and tomcat wasn't running as the user I thought it was,
> everything else went fine.

Thanks for doing this!

Can you elaborate what went wrong with the SOLR connector?  That connector was whipped together in a couple of days, and I don't
have a good testbed for it here yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were issues.  Or were you saying that it was SOLR
itself that was misconfigured on your setup?

> When LCF is only using Solr output and a webcrawler, does it still
> need the lcf-authority-service.war?

If you are not attempting to use any kind of individual document authorization, you do not need to deploy
lcf-authority-service.war.  The SOLR connector does not yet have any capability of sending access tokens into SOLR, so obviously
it's not going to work in that environment as yet.

This reminds me that we still need to work out the full security picture using SOLR, which I will enter a ticket for.

Posted by Ralph Benjamin Ruijs <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:

> Lukáš Vlček wrote:
>
>> Karl,
>>
>> would it be possible to write at least short info about how to implement a
>> new Connector? I looked at wiki pages but did not find this information
>> (or
>> is it in the LaTeX user doc?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lukas
>>

> The wiki pages now include three new "How to Write..." pages, for output
> connectors, authority connectors, and repository connectors.  Please review
> them and let me know where you feel they are inadequate.
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

Yes, this is what I was looking for. Good work!

Lukas

Re: Revised 3 top items for status

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.