Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian Lucas <bl...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/18 17:46:58 UTC

update partial document

Hi, I wanted to inquire if anybody would find an update flag useful that
only replaced the subset of data (ie a certain field) getting passed in,
instead of the whole record.

Pseudo-code for what I'm describing:

<id>125125</id>

<update-partial>true</update-partial>

------------------------

+ <language>RU</language>

------------------------

- <language>EN</language>

Instead of deleting and reinserting an entire document, which is ostensibly
what SOLR does each time an update is performed, it's sometimes preferable
to simply replace a single field's value like one does in a database.

Any thoughts on the feasibility or limitations of this?

Brian

Re: update partial document

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
I'm not into the code of Solr at all but I know that Solr is based on
the lucene core which has no kind of update mechanism. To update a
document using lucene you have to delete and reinsert the document.
That might be the reason for the solr behaviour as well.

You should consider that lucene is not a database!

best regards simon