Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/07/10 05:25:01 UTC

Struts without action and form classes

Subject: Struts without action and form classes
From: Owen <ow...@simpl.co.nz>
 ===
Is it possible for demo purposes to have struts provide the Framework
for a set of JSP files without the JSP files having associated Action
and Form classes behind them?

I've just created/designed some new JSP files for a new module in the
application. Before I go ahead and start adding all the code behind the
View I want to be able to make sure my application Flow and design are
OK with the client. So all I want in the struts-config.xml file is a
link to the jsp page.

All help greatly appreciated.

Owen Thomas

Re: AW: Struts without action and form classes

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 8:19 AM +0200 2002/07/10, Manfred Wolff wrote:
>Hi owen.
>
>Yes it is possible, but I think you need Struts 1.1b. See below:

Actually, you don't need struts 1.1, because if all you want to do is
forward, you can do it like this:

<action path="/loginNative" forward="/Logon/Logon.jsp" />

Here's the relevant snip from the struts-config_1_0.dtd:

      forward         Context-relative path of the servlet or JSP resource that
                      will process this request, instead of instantiating and
                      calling the Action class specified by "type".  Exactly one
                      of "forward", "include", or "type" must be specified.

I think this kind of prototyping is one of the very nice things about
Struts.  A lot of times, prototypes get thrown away, but here, you
just elaborate upon it.

Joe

>   <action path="/logonNative"
>           name="dummyForm"
>           parameter="/Logon/Logon.jsp"
>           scope="request"
>           type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
>           validate="false">
>   </action>
>
>In Struts 1.1b you have sevaral custom Actions like DynamicAction and
>also ForwardAction. In the key "parameter" you specify your JSP, you
>want to forward. The dummyForm is a standard form with no attributes. I
>think it is not possible to specify an action without a form, because
>the <html:form> tag needs a form!
>
>I have made a static prototyp with 60 steps (clickable Prototyp) so that
>the customer may have a impression at the "look and feel" of the
>application.
>
>Nice feature, isn't it?
>
>Manfred

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>

RE: Struts without action and form classes

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
>From what I understand, this is possible in 1.0x as well.

This example if from the Struts1.0 example app where the action mapping path
attribute
simply forwards to the tour.htm page which could just as easily be tour.jsp.

    <action    path="/tour"
            forward="/tour.htm">
    </action>

>From the Struts1.0 and 1.1 DTD section on the 'action' element:

    forward          Application-relative path of the servlet or JSP
resource
                     that will process this request, instead of
instantiating
                     and calling the Action class specified by "type".
                     Exactly one of "forward", "include", or "type" must be
                     specified.

Using the above example, you can prototype all day long and then go back and
add the necessary supporting classes.

HTH,

robert