Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Doug Daniels <dd...@mortardata.com> on 2011/11/10 03:32:32 UTC

pig cookbook

I was just working on a pig script to group some data by a field and then generate percentages for each group.  Without windowing functions at my disposal,  I wound up using a group by on the field for the numerator, a group all for the denominator, and a cross to pull them together.

Afterward, I found myself wanting to drop that snippet somewhere that other folks could use it, or (even better) to have found a snippet in the first place and not had to write it!

So I was thinking it'd be great to have a "pig cookbook" online with common operations that people do with pig.  Does anything like that exist yet?  If not, where would be a good place for it?

Best,
Doug

RE: pig cookbook

Posted by Corinne Chandel <ch...@yahoo-inc.com>.
In Pig 9 this material was moved into Performance and Efficiency, section Performance Enhancers:

http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.9.1/perf.html#performance-enhancers

Thanks/C

Re: pig cookbook

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
We used to have a cookbook.

Re: pig cookbook

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: pig cookbook

Posted by Doug Daniels <dd...@mortardata.com>.
Thanks Dmitriy, I didn't know you could do that!

I added an entry to the FAQ that Daniel pointed out: http://bit.ly/sZ8UOL

-Doug

Re: pig cookbook

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.