Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/05/02 13:01:22 UTC

What Mike did/is-doing.

For those interested in swapping in some other database backend
instead of Berkeley, I just spent the last 11 hours working towards
making that possible.

I estimate that I'm about 75-80% finished with a coding task that
abstracts away all the use of the skel_t structures in libsvn_fs to a
single source file of conversion/validation routines between real FS
structures like "svn_fs_representation_t" and the skel stuff, and then
the few source file responsible for writing to BDB.  When my task is
finished, all the FS core code that doesn't directly write to BDB will
be talking in terms of regular C structures, not the skeleton
objects.  That means that new databases that have real multi-column
table support write out multiple columns without parsing and unparsing
"list-y marshaled strings".

But for now, I must sleep.  Must sleep.

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by "Glenn A. Thompson" <gt...@cdr.net>.

Karl Fogel wrote:

> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> > Yes, cmpilato is part of our top-secret crack-fs-hacker team, one of
> > our best men.
>
> Good Afternoon, and allow me to introduce you to the other members of
> the Alpha Bravo Team.  How was your flight?  No doubt you're
> exhausted, and I don't blame you a bit -- that Slovenia debacle was
> one for the books.  Not that we can ever write about it, of course.
>
> A drink?  With pleasure.  Scotch, isn't that right?  There you go.
> Now, we haven't much time.  Headquarters has no doubt briefed on the
> situation here in Stockholm, so there's no need to go into that right
> now.  I'd like introduce you to the other members of the team.  Solid
> people, all of them, ones you'll want at your back in a pinch -- and,
> as I'm sure you're well aware, there are likely to be more than a few
> of those coming up.  C. M. Pilato here is our staff abstractionist.
> I'm sure you'll remember him from the Milan fiasco, which certainly
> wasn't his fault.  Indeed, we would have lost many more agents if it
> hadn't been for his quick thinking...  But enough about the past.
> Pilato knows the ground here like the back of his hand.  He has
> contacts all over town, even some I've never heard of, and when you're
> back's against the wall, you'll be counting on him to provide a
> generic access layer to implementation-specific data structures on
> short notice.

Thanks for the introduction. I received a preliminary copy of his work
while in flight and have begun to spin myself up.
I may have some questions for the team later.
I'm honored to be aboard and I will do my best to hold up my end of the
operation.

prost

gat

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by "Glenn A. Thompson" <gt...@cdr.net>.
WOW!
and THANKS!

gat

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
> "Glenn A. Thompson" wrote:
> > I assume it's safe to say that C M Pilato has gained the implicit trust of
> > the other developers and that this would
> > not be considered what gstein calls a *VERY* incremental change?

Implicit trust? No. Explicit? No.  Actually, we hate him. We just suffer his
presence, and his occasional demented checkins.

:-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by "Glenn A. Thompson" <gt...@cdr.net>.

> I don't know about the rest of the dev-list, but I personally have my
> suspicions about this C-Mike/C M Pilato/cmpilato/Fifi character.
> Proceed with caution, cadet.

Cadet!? you flatter me.  I'm still waiting for the results of my physical:-)

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Re: What Mike did/is-doing.

Posted by "Glenn A. Thompson" <gt...@cdr.net>.