Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com> on 2013/11/05 19:16:59 UTC

ActionScript coding conventions

Didn't we used to have a coding conventions document for committers to follow? I can't find it anywhere on the site.

- Gordon

Re: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
That looks a lot better than the other formatting.  Good work.

-Mark

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
You can slash escape some characters as well..

Like \[Binding]

Also right towards the bottom there's "i &lt; n; " instead of "i < n".  I can fix that if you want.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
please

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

There's a minor formatting issue here I think.
Use '' only if the value can be 'undefined'. You should generally use 'Object' rather than '', with 'null' being the “object doesn't exist” value.

I assume it should be * inside the single quotes.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>While the SDK generally follows most of these rules it's not 100% consistent, so probably should be noted that you should use local conventions in the case the SDK code varies from >these rules.

There is something close to this statement in "Exceptions to formatting rules".

 Is it enough ?

While the SDK generally follows most of these rules it's not 100% consistent, so probably should be noted that you should use local conventions in the case the SDK code varies from these rules.

Notice a couple of formatting issues on a quick look though - will details them later today when I have more time.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
BTW, the section separators under "Class metadata" also got shortened.

- Gordon

De : Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com] Envoyé : mardi 5 novembre 2013 22:08 À : dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org> Objet : Re: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
Hmm... somewhere along the line extra blank lines are getting inserted by somebody's email system.

- Gordon

It looks great, Maurice! The only thing I noticed in a quick lookover is that the major and minor section separators are supposed to look like this:

    //

    //  Properties

    //

(columns 4 through 80)

    //----------------------------------

    //  width

    //----------------------------------

(columns 4 through 40)

- Gordon

De : Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com] Envoyé : mardi 5 novembre 2013 22:08 À : dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org> Objet : Re: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Thanks for reviewing.
This is now fixed (was: hazardous global copy/replace :-)

Maurice

De : Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com] Envoyé : mardi 5 novembre 2013 22:08 À : dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org> Objet : Re: ActionScript coding conventions

De : Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com] Envoyé : mardi 5 novembre 2013 22:08 À : dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org> Objet : Re: ActionScript coding conventions

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
> it might be smart to link to the adobe wiki and give some sort of attribution.

If we simply link to http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/wiki/Coding%20Conventions/ then people will see wiki markup rather than the intended HTML.

> Also, be forewarned, you might be sparking a long discussion about whether certain of these conventions should be adopted.  Folks are not in favor of all of them.

The fact remains that most of the existing SDK code follows -- not exactly, but mostly -- these conventions. IMHO it doesn't make much sense to change the conventions unless someone is willing to also change the code so that the two things are in sync.

- Gordon

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

--