Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kuzela <ku...@adela.sk> on 1999/09/07 16:23:14 UTC

(new/old) idea of resolving

I know that resolving of IP address is time consuming and thats why
there is option to switch online resolving off and resolve addresses
later. But later
there is much less chance to resolve address at all.

What about write some background process with responsibility of writing
logs
and resolving IP addresses in them on background?

any problem?

Martin Kuzela

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.
> On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:32:52AM -0400, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > > I know that resolving of IP address is time consuming and thats why
> > > there is option to switch online resolving off and resolve addresses
> > > later. But later
> > > there is much less chance to resolve address at all.
> >
> > Why?  DNS is not a transient thing.
>
> On the contrary, it is very very transient. The PTR records can change
> on a regular basis. In fact with dynamic DNS, the PTR record could be
> changed (and on some networks are) when a dial-up user connects or
> diconnects.

Is that really worth worrying about?  Regardless, Apache supports piped
logs.  You can pipe the log entries to any program you want and that
program can resolve stuff.

-Rasmus

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving

Posted by Peter Galbavy <Pe...@knowledge.com>.
On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 10:32:52AM -0400, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > I know that resolving of IP address is time consuming and thats why
> > there is option to switch online resolving off and resolve addresses
> > later. But later
> > there is much less chance to resolve address at all.
>
> Why?  DNS is not a transient thing.

On the contrary, it is very very transient. The PTR records can change
on a regular basis. In fact with dynamic DNS, the PTR record could be
changed (and on some networks are) when a dial-up user connects or
diconnects.

Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd
http://www.knowledge.com/

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving

Posted by David Reid <ab...@dial.pipex.com>.
Where I sometimes work they have a problem with using dynamic IP allocation
and a desire to review what users have accessed from the internet via their
proxy.  Having the proxy lookup every IP slows the thing to a crawl so they
can't have it on, but without it they can't track who downloaded what!

Might be nice if Apache did offer the functionality, whether as a module or
as a support program using the piped logs?

Just my 2p worth.

david
Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> And personally I hope it doesn't.

+1.

Dw

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.
> So there is some argument for resolving relatively quickly; though of
> course some DNS implementations their caches are hopelessly broken when
> the TTL < 15 minutes. So it cannot be that quick. Yet.

And Solaris ships with nscd which by default has a one hour TTL on its
cache.  I think it is going to be a while before short-expiry dns like
this becomes useful.  And personally I hope it doesn't.

-Rasmus

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: (new/old) idea of resolving