Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by smallrat <to...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/03 09:21:01 UTC

issue with mass-check --reuse --all

Hi,
I try to mass-check my email database, with the parameters --reuse --all.
But there is an issue, when it comes to the big emails (size more than 15
MB), the computer simply freezes and the mass-check stops.

I use SpamAssassin 3.4.0 on ubuntu 10.04.

Re: issue with mass-check --reuse --all

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 05/04, smallrat wrote:
> I already solved that problem. It was really in the memory. So thanks for
> help.

How did you solve it?

It's probably appropriate (and more productive) to post any questions
about mass-check to the dev list.

Will you be sharing your new rules with us?

--
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create
the universe." - Carl Sagan

Re: issue with mass-check --reuse --all

Posted by smallrat <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 3 May 2011, smallrat wrote:

> John Hardin wrote:
>>
>> Trivial answer: don't put messages that large into your corpus.
>>
>> Are you sure it's frozen? What's your CPU usage? How long did you wait?
>> Did your box start swapping?
>>
>> If you're going to feed messages >1.5MB or so to SA, assuming your box has
>> the oomph to handle them at all, you'll simply have to be patient while it
>> scans them.
>
> I need the messages to be processed with mass-check. And yes, the computer
> doesn't go any further, so I am pretty sure it's frozen (I waited over one
> hour to see if it goes on).

What was the CPU usage and swap activity during that time?

> The last thing it wrote was an report "Plugin eval failed" and I have read
> somewhere, that it could be caused by insufficient RAM size. Could it be
> also my case?
> I actually run that computer only as virtual machine with 512 MB of ram, so
> I supose it can be caused by this, can't it?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Is there any possibility of pruning the size of those messages down? Do
they have large attachments of a type that SA isn't going to scan anyway,
that could be deleted (or, if you still want the effects of SA scanning
the MIME attachment headers, that could have the majority of their base64
removed)?

   A sword is never a killer, it is but a tool in the killer's hands.
                           -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (Martial) 4BC-65AD
  5 days until the 66th anniversary of VE day

Re: issue with mass-check --reuse --all

Posted by smallrat <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 3 May 2011, smallrat wrote:

> I try to mass-check my email database, with the parameters --reuse --all.
> But there is an issue, when it comes to the big emails (size more than 15
> MB), the computer simply freezes and the mass-check stops.

Trivial answer: don't put messages that large into your corpus.

Are you sure it's frozen? What's your CPU usage? How long did you wait?
Did your box start swapping?

If you're going to feed messages >1.5MB or so to SA, assuming your box has
the oomph to handle them at all, you'll simply have to be patient while it
scans them.

   No representation without taxation!
  5 days until the 66th anniversary of VE day