Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> on 2004/09/03 05:09:17 UTC

How to read perceptron-adjusted scores?

Eric Kolve and I are looking at adjusting the default scores for
SpamCopURI's SURBL lists, and we thought we might base them on
the perceptron-weighted ones that SA3 is using.  Can someone
suggest how to read the output in the scores file?

  http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/rules/50_scores.cf

# The following block of scores were generated using the mass-checking
# scripts, and a perceptron to determine the optimum scores which
# resulted in minimum false positives or negatives.  The scores are
# weighted to produce roughly 1 false positive in 2500 non-spam messages
# using the default threshold of 5.0.
[...]

score URIBL_AB_SURBL 0 2.007 0 0.417
score URIBL_OB_SURBL 0 1.996 0 3.213
score URIBL_PH_SURBL 0 0.839 0 2.000
score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0 3.897 0 4.263
score URIBL_WS_SURBL 0 0.539 0 1.462

So what do the columns above mean?

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: How to read perceptron-adjusted scores?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 08:09:17PM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> score URIBL_AB_SURBL 0 2.007 0 0.417
> score URIBL_OB_SURBL 0 1.996 0 3.213
> score URIBL_PH_SURBL 0 0.839 0 2.000
> score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0 3.897 0 4.263
> score URIBL_WS_SURBL 0 0.539 0 1.462
>
> So what do the columns above mean?

I would usually say RTFM, but:

$ perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
[...]
   If four valid scores are listed, then the score that is used
   depends on how SpamAssassin is being used. The first score is used
   when both Bayes and network tests are disabled (score set 0). The
   second score is used when Bayes is disabled, but network tests are
   enabled (score set 1). The third score is used when Bayes is
   enabled and network tests are disabled (score set 2). The fourth
   score is used when Bayes is enabled and network tests are enabled
   (score set 3).

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Holy Moly!  The bastard's rich!