Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2009/06/16 14:49:21 UTC

2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Somebody please remind me: what's the purpose of the
-SNAPSHOT version name?  Doesn't this just mean that
every POM needs to updated twice for a new version,
once with the snapshot tag, and once without?
Why aren't we going to the next version directly?
It's not like we're publishing snapshot releases.

--Thilo

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2009/6/16 LeHouillier, Frank D. <Fr...@gd-ais.com>

> No, but you should look at the maven release plugin for handling the
> change from 2.n-SNAPSHOT in (trunk) to 2.n (in tags) to 2.n+1-SNAPSHOT
> (back in trunk).  It should handle all of the SNAPSHOT dependencies
> automatically rather than doing this by hand.  As it stands now, are you
> planning to change all the versions to 2.3.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT after
> the release of 2.3.1-incubating?  In general, I agree with Jukka, that
> if I have a dependency that isn't labeled SNAPSHOT, I trust this version
> not to change.  Since we do sometimes build UIMA trunk internally, this
> won't be the case if SNAPSHOT is abandoned forever.

I do agree

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2009/6/16 Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>
>
>> LeHouillier, Frank D. wrote:
>>> No, but you should look at the maven release plugin for handling the
>>> change from 2.n-SNAPSHOT in (trunk) to 2.n (in tags) to 2.n+1-SNAPSHOT
>>> (back in trunk).  It should handle all of the SNAPSHOT dependencies
>>> automatically rather than doing this by hand.  As it stands now, are you
>> Do I hear you volunteer?
>>
>>> planning to change all the versions to 2.3.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT after
>>> the release of 2.3.1-incubating?  In general, I agree with Jukka, that
>>> if I have a dependency that isn't labeled SNAPSHOT, I trust this version
>>> not to change.  Since we do sometimes build UIMA trunk internally, this
>>> won't be the case if SNAPSHOT is abandoned forever.
>> I don't think we'll abandon snapshot release numbering, I understand
>> the need for it now.  However, we do need a better way to maintain
>> the version numbers in the various places we have.  I don't have and
>> am not planning on acquiring the maven skill to improve the situation.
>> So help in that quarter would be appreciated.
>

> An idea could be to define a UIMA super POM, a parent POM in which you
> deploy properties common to all modules, if you'd like one point in which
> handle common properties, this can be a good practice.
> Tommaso

We have that, actually.  We're not using it to manage the dependencies,
though.

--Thilo

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

RE: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Michael Baessler wrote:
>>>From my point of view, -SNAPSHOT versions are for example nightly builds.
> For real releases with create a tag in SVN and building on this tag is no SNAPSHOT.

Yes but we don't *do* any nightly builds.  Why do we
go to all this trouble if we don't use it for
anything?

--Thilo

Re: 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.