Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1998/12/22 23:08:31 UTC

Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use

Joseph Bridgewater wrote:

> If some people want pre-processing to be performed to come up with a
> resultant config file before Apache loads it's config file, why not just
> run some external command - whatever suits your fancy - to do whatever
> pleases you to generate standard Apache config files just before executing
> Apache?

Hardly elegant. What's being discussed is not some sort of general
"build a config file" function, ala what m4 does for sendmail. Rather,
it's a way to add some capability to Apache's own config file, and
reduce duplication of directives with simple macros. I can't believe
that if this capability was available, it wouldn't be used.

No matter what, I don't want Fabien to get pissed off with all the
negative comments and the comments such as "I don't care if it's
useful for you. It's not useful for me, so that means you are an idiot"
and not maintain his mod_macro package. To be an "Officially Included
Module" in the Apache distribution requires some serious need and
desire from the community, so it might be premature for it right now.
But I definately think Fabien should make sure that it's in the Apache
Module Registry, and maybe it will prove to be popular enough that it
gets added. It's happened before.