Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Milamber <mi...@apache.org> on 2016/04/17 19:03:39 UTC

[VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Hello,

The second release candidate for JMeter 3.0 (r1739623) has been
prepared, and your votes are solicited.

This release brings a lot of new features (over 100) and fixes many bugs
(60).

If you can, some tests of this release candidate (load tests and/or
functional tests) with Java 7/8 on Linux/Windows/Mac OS on changes are
welcome.

You can read the New and Noteworthy section with some screenshots to
illustrate improvements and full list of changes at:
http://home.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-3.0RC2/docs/changes.html

JMeter is a Java desktop application designed to load test functional
behavior and measure performance. The current version is targeted at
Java 7+.

Archives/hashes/sigs:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/jmeter/v3.0_RC2/

RAT report:

http://home.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-3.0RC2/dist/rat-report-jmeter-3.0RC2.txt

MD5 hashes of archives for this vote:

8eab13c7c97cae7ad981adce73feaf7c *apache-jmeter-3.0.tgz
0375b7ad7fb51698f647ab2d8649b242 *apache-jmeter-3.0.zip
792fb612c2a8de5b4352579fcf4d09be *apache-jmeter-3.0_src.zip
823b8257824644837ec451e025d293d4 *apache-jmeter-3.0_src.tgz

Site Docs are here:
http://home.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-3.0RC2/docs/

Maven staging repository is accessible here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejmeter-1007/org/apache/jmeter/

Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jmeter/tags/v3_0_RC2/

Keys are here:
https://www.apache.org/dist/jmeter/KEYS

N.B.
To download the dependencies: "ant download_jars"

To create the jars and test JMeter: "ant package test".

JMeter 3.0 requires Java 7 or later to run.

Some known issues and incompatible changes are listed on changes page.
http://home.apache.org/~milamber/jmeter-3.0RC2/docs/changes.html

All feedback and vote are welcome.

[  ] +1  I support this release
[  ] +0  I am OK with this release
[  ] -0   OK, but....
[  ] -1   I do not support this release (please indicate why)

The vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

The PMC members please indicate the mention "(binding)" with your vote.

Note: If the vote passes, the intention is to release the archive files
and rename the RC tag as the release tag.

Thanks in advance!

Milamber

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 April 2016 at 17:58, Vladimir Sitnikov
<si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sebb> On reflection I think they can all be deleted
>
> .gitignore files protect developer from committing non-relevant files.

I know; same as svn:ignore.

> So having them as a safety net is good.

They are not always good.

Having incorrect gitignore (or svn:ignore) settings could mean failing
to commit files that should be committed.

The ignore settings should only be used to ignore files that are known
to be present in the directories and which are definitely not needed.
For example .log files generally are not needed - though even that may
depend on the directory.

The ignores have to be carefully considered, not applied blindly.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20 April 2016 at 09:51, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/04/2016 15:23, sebb wrote:
>>
>> I've just noticed that we include .gitignore at the top level.
>

> Ok to do this, we need to remove the .gitignore file from the default
> exclude of Ant
>
> <defaultexcludes remove="**/.gitignore"/>
>

>> The lower level ones need to be tidied up and/or merged into the
>> top-level one and included in the archive.
>

> Are you sure? we can keep the 'sub-'.gitignore files in their directories?
> git will merge automatically all .gitignore (and ignore the files listed
> inside at the right name/location)

Yes, I know one can have multiple .gitignore files.
However if you look at them, most of them don't make any sense.

The content of the .gitignore files should agree with any svn:ignore settings.

Otherwise Git mirrors may not agree with SVN.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 April 2016 at 14:10, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: .gitignore
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: .svn
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: .travis.yml
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7: LICENSE
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/bootstrap:
>> LICENSE
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/bootstrap-social:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/datatables-responsive:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/flot:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/flot:
>> Makefile
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/font-awesome:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/holderjs:
>> .gitattributes
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/holderjs:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/holderjs/test:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/metisMenu:
>> LICENSE
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/mocha:
>> LICENSE
>> Only in
>> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/morrisjs:
>> .gitignore
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: checkstyle-suppressions.xml
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: doap_JMeter.rdf
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/lib: api
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/lib: doc
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/lib: ext
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/lib: junit
>> Only in v3_0_RC2: rat-excludes.txt
>> Only in v3_0_RC2/test: resources
>>
>> The .* files are OK, as is the doap (we ought to move that)
>> Also the lib subdirectories.
>>
>> But the rest ought to be in the source archives, or some should
>> perhaps be dropped from SVN
>

> To resume, these files must be in the source archive or dropped from SVN:
>
> Only in
> v3_0_RC2/bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7/bower_components/flot:Makefile
> Only in v3_0_RC2: checkstyle-suppressions.xml
> Only in v3_0_RC2: rat-excludes.txt
> Only in v3_0_RC2/test: resources
>

> I don't know why the Makefile aren't in the source archive? Should be added?
> Please confirm.
>
> I suppose we need to add checkstyle-suppressions.xml, rat-excludes.txt and
> ressources dir into the source archive (I will do this)

Yes.
The source archive should contain everything in SVN.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi sebb, all,
I don't know what to do.

We depend on sbadmin which embeds a lot of dependencies but we don't use
them all.
My initial idea was not to touch it to ease upgrade.
But now, we are moving license.txt files into jmeter license folder so
changing it

Regarding your remarks sebb:
sebb: What about the files under bin/report-template/content?
> There is a license header for the ones that have not been developed by
JMeter

sebb: Are all the files under bin/report-template/sbadmin2-1.0.7 really
part of sb admin or bootstrap/mocha/metisMenu ?
> Yes. You could have checked this by downloading it.

sebb: What about less?
> http://startbootstrap.com/template-overviews/sb-admin-2/
> "LESS files included for deeper customization"

sebb: There seem to be copies of jquery
> Could you give more detail ?

sebb: What about the files under bin/report-template/content?
> Some are developments donated to Apache JMeter. The others are well known
dependencies under Apache Compatibles licenses mentioned in headers.

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Also

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 April 2016 at 12:40, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 April 2016 at 11:30, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Can you be more explicit or do it ?
>> > I don't understand.
>> > Is the folder enough ?
>>
>> The user must be able to identify all the external files and their
>> licenses.
>> In the case of a jar, the jar name is sufficient.
>>

> Frankly I think we're one of the project that documents this the most.

That does not mean we should not do it.

> Isn't it too much ? This is really cumbersome as we now have to update for
> a library upgrade :
>
>    - LICENSE
>    - licenses/src
OR

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The build failed with "[java] java.lang.AssertionError: LICENSE does not
contain entry for bootstrap-3.3.4" error message.

My PR don't modify any licence.
Build is it broken?
Do I need to do something?

Thank
Antonio

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi sebb,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There are problems with the display of image Statistics table (in
printable_docs/changes.html &
printable_docs/usermanual/generating-dashboard.html)

The size of the image is not good (the width)

<figure width="13736" height="433" image="changes/3.0/report_statistics.png"

must be

<figure width="1376" height="433" image="changes/3.0/report_statistics.png"

I have check the changes doc and I think it will be great to have exemples
of how use the new festures (e.g. HProfiler and Dynatrace do it with videos
but have it in text format in changes.html will be enought)

Antonio

Garai
sans virus. www.avast.com
<#m_-2304177720128865192_DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to RM !

+1  I support this release (binding)

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: [CANCELLED] Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 3.0 RC2

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Milamber

Can you merge my PR (See
https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59353 with the associated
PR) before RC3

This PR ameliorate the changes.xml file to be more user friendly and
complete

Thanks
Antonio

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
I already did it Dr No :-)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
@committers :
Please :
The trunk branch still frozen during the release process, don't commit
even to test some behavior. If you need to share some behavior, uses
patch or PR.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.