Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/09/12 22:40:33 UTC

Breaking out support for Instrumentable

As of right now, Instrumentation is an *extension* to the component
lifecycle.  The way it is currently integrated into the ComponentFactory
in Fortress makes it behave as a core feature.  We need to break it
out into an instance of Creator.  Once that is done we can even make
it a default extension in Fortress--but it should be handled as the
extension it is.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Breaking out support for Instrumentable

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>As of right now, Instrumentation is an *extension* to the component
>lifecycle.  The way it is currently integrated into the ComponentFactory
>in Fortress makes it behave as a core feature.  We need to break it
>out into an instance of Creator.  Once that is done we can even make
>it a default extension in Fortress--but it should be handled as the
>extension it is.

That should be fine.  The way components which implement Instrumentable
work, it
is not really required that they ever be registered with an
InstrumentManager.  It is
optional as not all containers include an IM.  So go for it.  I'll go in
and see how it was
done once you get the changes committed.

Cheers,
Leif