Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 1999/05/12 16:13:13 UTC

Shared Memory in APR.

After taking a few days to clean some stuff up and go to meetings, I am
back to work on APR.  The next thing I am looking to implement is shared
memory.  Ralf posted some stuff a while ago that includes the shared
memory pools stuff, as well as some code to allocate/deallocate shared
memory.

I began to take a quick look at this to see how easily it could be added
to APR, and noticed immediately, that it has everything Copyrighted by
Ralf.  So, my question is can I use this code?  Does it need to be
re-released under the Apache License?  Ralf, are you willing to do that?

I always have the option of just grabing the code from the scoreboard
logic, and using it.  So re-writing isn't really an issue.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd

Re: Shared Memory in APR.

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> In article <Pi...@chosondo.raleigh.ibm.com>,
> Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> >After taking a few days to clean some stuff up and go to meetings, I am
> >back to work on APR.  The next thing I am looking to implement is shared
> >memory.  Ralf posted some stuff a while ago that includes the shared
> >memory pools stuff, as well as some code to allocate/deallocate shared
> >memory.
> >
> >I began to take a quick look at this to see how easily it could be added
> >to APR, and noticed immediately, that it has everything Copyrighted by
> >Ralf.  So, my question is can I use this code?  Does it need to be
> >re-released under the Apache License?  Ralf, are you willing to do that?
>
> Shouldn't any code posted to this list be regarded as contributed to AG?
> Question for the ASF people:  could automatic consent be legally assumed
> if the info document for the list (which majordomo sends to new subscribers)
> specified this caveat?  Of course, if this change were made to the info
> document, it would also need to be sent out to all current subscribers.

Sounds like a reasonable idea.  Investigating...

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com

Re: Shared Memory in APR.

Posted by Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <st...@efn.org>.
In article <Pi...@chosondo.raleigh.ibm.com>,
Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:

>After taking a few days to clean some stuff up and go to meetings, I am
>back to work on APR.  The next thing I am looking to implement is shared
>memory.  Ralf posted some stuff a while ago that includes the shared
>memory pools stuff, as well as some code to allocate/deallocate shared
>memory.
>
>I began to take a quick look at this to see how easily it could be added
>to APR, and noticed immediately, that it has everything Copyrighted by
>Ralf.  So, my question is can I use this code?  Does it need to be
>re-released under the Apache License?  Ralf, are you willing to do that?

Shouldn't any code posted to this list be regarded as contributed to AG?
Question for the ASF people:  could automatic consent be legally assumed
if the info document for the list (which majordomo sends to new subscribers)
specified this caveat?  Of course, if this change were made to the info
document, it would also need to be sent out to all current subscribers.

Just an idea...