Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by S L <so...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/02 16:39:49 UTC

Is there a way to clear lucene's cache?

I'm doing some performance testing and caching is not helpful for the tests.
Is there a way to clear lucene's query cache between rounds of tests? I've
tried restarting tomcat but that doesn't help.

Thanks.

Re: Is there a way to clear lucene's cache?

Posted by S L <so...@gmail.com>.
p.s. And thanks for the tip on flushing the OS-level cache.

Re: Is there a way to clear lucene's cache?

Posted by S L <so...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I meant solr. My bad. Thanks.

Re: Is there a way to clear lucene's cache?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Lucene itself doesn't do any caching.  Maybe you are thinking of Solr?

The OS also does caching, so if you want a "cold" test you'll have to
tell the OS to flush its IO cache in between tests.  EG on Linux do
"sudo echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches".

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com