Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Anthony Gardner <cy...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2006/11/28 15:32:42 UTC

How to stop httpd from starting

All,

I have a bash script that includes

/usr/sbin/httpd -f  [some config stuff] >> logs/error_log 2>&1 &

I have a startup.pl script that dies and i exit ... but httpd continues trying to start.

How do I tell httpd to stop if I encounter an error during server startup time?

I've removed the nohup that was before the httpd command and I've tried exit 1 (and 0) in the startup.pl script. All to no avail.

This a snippit of my error log
[error] ModPerl::Util::exit: (120000) exit was called at /path/to/startup.pl line 26Compilation failed in require at (eval 4) line 1.\n
[Tue Nov 28 15:30:14 2006] [error] Can't load Perl file: /path/to/startup.pl for server my.server:0, exiting..

If you need more info, just ask.

Any pointers would be gr8ly appreciated.

-Ants

Re: How to stop httpd from starting

Posted by Chris Hagglund <ch...@shrinkingplanet.ca>.
Anthony Gardner wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a bash script that includes
>
> /usr/sbin/httpd -f  [some config stuff] >> logs/error_log 2>&1 &
>
> I have a startup.pl script that dies and i exit ... but httpd
> continues trying to start.
>
> How do I tell httpd to stop if I encounter an error during server
> startup time?
>
> I've removed the nohup that was before the httpd command and I've
> tried exit 1 (and 0) in the startup.pl script. All to no avail.
>
> This a snippit of my error log
> [error] ModPerl::Util::exit: (120000) exit was called at
> /path/to/startup.pl line 26Compilation failed in require at (eval 4)
> line 1.\n
> [Tue Nov 28 15:30:14 2006] [error] Can't load Perl file:
> /path/to/startup.pl for server my.server:0, exiting..
>
> If you need more info, just ask.
>
> Any pointers would be gr8ly appreciated.
>
> -Ants
I dont know if it will help but I was having similar sounding issue when
I switched up to mod_perl2 and found that I had to change the httpd conf
line if I wanted errors in my startup script to force the server to fail
to configtest/start/restart/graceful/whatever. Changing my PerlRequire
to PerlConfigRequire did the trick for me. I also do PerlModule lines
for any modules that should be loaded so that errors in those will
prevent apache from reloading as well.

- Chris H.