Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com> on 2001/04/23 02:17:01 UTC

In absence of tutorial how about a checklist?

Could somebody experienced with Turbine make an example application
checklist that will give beginner's at least a list of suggested steps to
perform?

I have been trying to read everything I can about Turbine.  I have
downloaded the TDK I have read the documentation that comes with it.  There
appears to not be anything in terms of a sample application or tutorial.  In
absence of this could someone who is experienced with Turbine please suggest
a course of action for building my a sample application.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS SORT OF A ROADMAP  (Start here, do this, then do
that....)

It's just that I don't have a good idea of where to start when developing an
application...  As I understand, can be used in 3 ways

1. As a Servlet framework with Turbine as the controller.
2  As a framework of useful code in your application.
3  As a Object-Relational Tool

I would be most interested in a checklist for type 1 application, although
others may need type 2 or type 3.

I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEBODY COULD PUT TOGETHER THIS CHECKLIST.  I
really feel that it would help beginners like me.  Without a tutorial,
Turbine is very hard to learn.  A checklist could at least be a temporary
solution to the problem of not having a tutorial.

RE: In absence of tutorial how about a checklist?

Posted by "James S. Carlson" <js...@speakeasy.net>.
I'd also love to participate in this.  I'm migrating (upgrading?) a
Bitmechanic GSP / JServ based application to a Turbine/Tomcat based
application.  I'll keep careful notes as I work on this over the next 48
hours.  I'll even write down what I dream about, if it's related. :)

Regards,
James Carlson

Posted by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com>.
Aashi,   I like your ideas regarding user management additions.  In a
started list that was based on the Features List on the Turbine site.  I
have added your suggestions to this list.

> It'd be cool if you could add some user management stuff on top of
> that, since that's very turbine-like.  maybe have a portion of the website
> that you need a login to use.  perhaps a section where you can do some
> database manipulation only if you are logged in?
>
> also, perhaps extend a screen to do something on "every page" instead
> of just using the standard screen objects?
>
> i've seen alot of posts about people using the file upload section, and
> having
> issues.. perhaps have a file upload section of the website?
>
> then later  :)  perhaps show some of the cool services that
> turbine has built

 FEATURE LIST
------------

User Management Capabilities:

- We should integrate this capability within the system.  User should be
able to change site configuration.  (Maybe we could tie this in with the
templating system?)

Integration with template systems: Velocity, WebMacro, Cocoon, FreeMarker,
JSP, ECS

-  we could show how to design a system using Model 2 methodology having
Turbine servlets as the Controller and the templating systems as the views.
It would be great if we could demonstrate how to make the controller generic
enough to be able to support more than one view.  We should implement at
least one view - I suggest JSP - but show how it's possible to switch view
implementation to any of the other template systems

Utility code for working with Velocity and WebMacro, such as a SelectorBox
class for building <select> boxes

- This could be demonstrated within the View implementation

Single Entry Point Servlet model for optimal security and control

- This could be demonstrated in the login step of the use case

Singleton based Database Connection Pool (JDBC) with built in support for
all of the major databases

- The tutorial could show how to implement connection pooling to update the
data.

ParameterParsing for GET/POST/PATH_INFO

-  UI would have forms where we could demonstrate this

Event based Action handling!

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Strict MVC guidelines implemented through many interfaces and abstract
classes as well as through the template systems.

- This goes along with the templating idea above

Integration with 5 Object-Relational tools: DatabaseMap/Peers, Village,
Town, OPaL, Castor

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

IDBroker that abstracts the autoinsert/sequence usage from the database

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

DatabaseMap generation tool that will read a schema and generate the Java
classes for you

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Failsafe Job based scheduler system (ie: a Java based cron)

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

GlobalCache (Singleton based system for caching data across servlets and
requests)

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

DateSelector (utility for building the HTML for popup date menus)

- This could possibly be used within the context of the GUI

File Upload API

- This could possibly be used - maybe the database contains pictures?

Generic Services API for creating Singletons

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Castor Service Integration

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

XML-RPC Service Integration

 - Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Localization Services API

 - possibly integrate with UI presentation?

JNDI Services API

 - if we expand use case so that back end is EJB's this could be
demonstrated

Visitor/Member API for managing users

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Temporary and Permanent storage/management for users session data

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

ACL (Access Control List) based security system that uses Roles and
Permissions (and the database schemas)

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

BrowserDetector class for determining which browser someone is using

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

GenerateUniqueId class for getting a unique number (ie: for sessions)

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Logging to a file facility.

- We could implement logging in the application

Property file reader tools and a TurbineResources service to make it easy to
retrieve properties

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Integration with JavaMail to make sending email painless

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Integration with JavaMail and Velocity/WebMacro to allow you to send
processed Velocity templates as email!

- Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Built using Ant

 - Not sure how to implement this (any suggestions)?

Initial application development WAR archive creation tool using Ant

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
One of the best ways to learn something is to dive in and start doing it...

We welcome your patches and contributions.

-jon

on 4/23/01 7:16 AM, "Aashi Deacon" <aa...@stdio.com> wrote:

> It'd be cool if you could add some user management stuff on top of
> that, since that's very turbine-like.  maybe have a portion of the website
> that you need a login to use.  perhaps a section where you can do some
> database manipulation only if you are logged in?
>
> also, perhaps extend a screen to do something on "every page" instead
> of just using the standard screen objects?
>
> i've seen alot of posts about people using the file upload section, and
> having
> issues.. perhaps have a file upload section of the website?
>
> then later  :)  perhaps show some of the cool services that turbine has built
>
> in..  im' sure others would have a better idea of the more way cool
> services..
>
> i'd be willing to help on this!
>
> aash
>

> John Menke wrote:
>
>>> I will be in NYC this week, but I will answer my email nightly.
>>> If you send me
>>> questions I will answer them.
>>>
>> Sounds good
>>
>>> I would say go the use case route. Come up with a simple application
>>> that you would like to make from a user's perspective and then we
>>> can decide what parts of turbine will satisfy the need. The little
>>> use case would be great to include in the tutorial.
>>>

>> How about a simple database front end application?  Maybe something that
>> uses Turbine and Model 2
>> methodology to produce forms to update and display data to a database.  I
>> have access to Postgres. What do you think?  We could even expand it to
>> JBoss and EJB's later.
>>
>>> Some sub topics might be:
>>>
>>> 1. Understanding your project properties.
>>> 2. Designing your application schema.
>>> 3. Understanding your project build file.
>>> 4. How to create screens and actions.
>>>

>> If I write the use case, maybe you can show me how to expand into these
>> areas.

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: In absence of tutorial how about a checklist?

Posted by Aashi Deacon <aa...@stdio.com>.

Posted by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

RE: In absence of tutorial how about a checklist?

Posted by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com>.
See inline:

> There is a sample application, and the README_FIRST.txt file in the top
> level directory explains how to make it.

OK, I see it.  (For some reason I didn't realize this was the
sample...doh..)

> I will help you make a road map, I would be happy too, but I
> don't have time
> right
> now to do it for you. I intend on adding lots of documentation
> for the TDK but
> it won't be in place until the 2.2 release of turbine. Any help
> documenting
> the TDK for someone who is starting would help a lot of people.

I currently have time to help.

Posted by Kevin Newman <kn...@home.com>.
I'd like to help also, where do I sign-up?

kln

> Could somebody experienced with Turbine make an example application
> checklist that will give beginner's at least a list of suggested steps to
> perform?
>
> I have been trying to read everything I can about Turbine.  I have
> downloaded the TDK I have read the documentation that comes with it.
There
> appears to not be anything in terms of a sample application or tutorial.

There is a sample application, and the README_FIRST.txt file in the top
level directory explains how to make it.

> In
> absence of this could someone who is experienced with Turbine please
suggest
> a course of action for building my a sample application.

Again, there is a sample application.

> WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS SORT OF A ROADMAP  (Start here, do this, then do
> that....)

I will help you make a road map, I would be happy too, but I don't have time
right
now to do it for you. I intend on adding lots of documentation for the TDK
but
it won't be in place until the 2.2 release of turbine. Any help documenting
the TDK for someone who is starting would help a lot of people.

> It's just that I don't have a good idea of where to start when developing
an
> application...  As I understand, can be used in 3 ways
>
> 1. As a Servlet framework with Turbine as the controller.
> 2  As a framework of useful code in your application.
> 3  As a Object-Relational Tool

It's all of these things.

> I would be most interested in a checklist for type 1 application, although
> others may need type 2 or type 3.
>
> I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEBODY COULD PUT TOGETHER THIS CHECKLIST.

The sample application demonstrates 1-3.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/22/01 5:17 PM, "John Menke" <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com> wrote:

> Could somebody experienced with Turbine make an example application
> checklist that will give beginner's at least a list of suggested steps to
> perform?
>
> I have been trying to read everything I can about Turbine.  I have
> downloaded the TDK I have read the documentation that comes with it.  There
> appears to not be anything in terms of a sample application or tutorial.

There are sample applications with the TDK. Not quite sure how you missed
them.

> It's just that I don't have a good idea of where to start when developing an
> application...  As I understand, can be used in 3 ways
>
> 1. As a Servlet framework with Turbine as the controller.

Yes.

> 2  As a framework of useful code in your application.

Yes.

> 3  As a Object-Relational Tool

That is simply just using Torque.

> I would be most interested in a checklist for type 1 application, although
> others may need type 2 or type 3.

Yup.

> I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEBODY COULD PUT TOGETHER THIS CHECKLIST.  I
> really feel that it would help beginners like me.  Without a tutorial,
> Turbine is very hard to learn.  A checklist could at least be a temporary
> solution to the problem of not having a tutorial.

"Creating your first Turbine application!"

<http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-turbine-tdk/xdocs/index.
xml?rev=1.9&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup>

-jon