Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Daniel Franklin <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/20 01:42:47 UTC

[users@httpd] How to use AddModule

I have an apache-1.3 server that is loading various modules.
The httpd.conf has several LoadModule statements but no
AddModule ones, and it works fine. However, I see AddModule
recommended various places. The documentation is rather vague
on the point. For LoadModule, for example:
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_so.html#loadmodule>
"The LoadModule directive links in the object file or library
filename and adds the module structure named module to the list of active
modules."
But then for AddModule:
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#addmodule>
"This directive can be used to enable the use of those modules."

What is the difference between an active module and an enabled module?
It sounds like LoadModule loads the actual object file from disk.
Does apache keep track of whether loaded modules disabled/enabled in memory?
Does the very first connection, for example, enable setenvif_module?

And, the question most to the point, is there a performance difference when
using AddModule?
Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] How to use AddModule

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.

Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Aaron Morris wrote:
>
>>>What is the difference between an active module and an enabled module?
>>>It sounds like LoadModule loads the actual object file from disk.
>>>Does apache keep track of whether loaded modules disabled/enabled in memory?
>>>Does the very first connection, for example, enable setenvif_module?
>>>
>>>And, the question most to the point, is there a performance difference when
>>>using AddModule?
>>>Thanks.
>>
>>"AddModule" make no difference, AFAIK, when you are using DSOs (since
>>LoadModule automatically activates the module, AddModule would be
>>repetitive).  It only  affects the server when modules are statically
>>built in httpd.
>

> While it is true that LoadModule implies AddModule, that does not
> necessarily mean you don't need AddModule with DSOs.  The crucial point is
> the ClearModuleList directive.  This directive UNLOADS all modules (static
> and dynamic).  Then you can use AddModule to put them back.  The reason
> you would want to do this is if you needed to change the order that
> modules are called.
>
> Joshua.

Ah.  That probably explains my experience.  Every time I've added new
modules, my LoadModule directive almost always comes after the
ClearModuleList directive.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

Re: [users@httpd] How to use AddModule