Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> on 2019/08/20 11:42:58 UTC

CI environment

Hi,
the information at https://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/continuous-integration.html seems pretty outdated.
On the ASF Jenkins I could not find too many CI jobs either (some related to Oak, https://builds.apache.org/view/AllJobs/).

I would like to set up Jobs for Jackrabbit Filevault and Jackrabbit Filevault Maven Plugin. The latter requires also a Windows build job (we faced several Windows only issues in the past).
Also it would be nice to have a dedicated view in Jenkins for Apache Jackrabbit which contains all Jobs for Oak, Jackrabbit and Filevault.
Is there any reference documentation around the set up of CI jobs at Jackrabbit?
Also I could not find any Jenkinsfile anywhere so I guess the Jenkins Jobs are currently maintained manually?
Or should I instead rather use Travis?

Thanks for your input.
Konrad

Re: CI environment

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Now that Github Actions are generally available (https://github.com/features/actions <https://github.com/features/actions>) I would rather invest in this than leveraging the ASF Jenkins due to issues with building 3rd party PRs.
For that I would need to be added to the repository collaborators group.
My github user is added to the ASF Github organization and I actually have rights to create workflows e.g. in https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-models-impl/actions/new <https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-models-impl/actions/new> but not in https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-filevault-package-maven-plugin <https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-filevault-package-maven-plugin>.
Any idea what rights are missing?

Thanks,
Konrad

Re: CI environment

Re: CI environment

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
Usually one uses a Shared Library for setting the jobs up (e.g. compare with https://github.com/apache/sling-tooling-jenkins <https://github.com/apache/sling-tooling-jenkins>)
Also who is currently Jenkins admin (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount>)?

Can you grant me the according rights or set up Jobs for http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/filevault/ <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/filevault/> and http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/filevault-package-maven-plugin/? <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/filevault-package-maven-plugin/?>

Re: CI environment

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
I asked INFRA to enable Travis builds on both FileVault repos in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19438 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19438>.

Re: CI environment

Re: CI environment

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
According to https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/523a8dbfbf6fa4cef6d98c5e25770a9f8e8525de3781516d031c068a@%3Cprivate.infra.apache.org%3E <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/523a8dbfbf6fa4cef6d98c5e25770a9f8e8525de3781516d031c068a@%3Cprivate.infra.apache.org%3E> it seems wise nowadays to primarily rely on Travis to also enable builds on PRs.

Re: CI environment

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Thanks for the answer. I opened issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4468 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4468> to track that.
Konrad