Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Germán Biozzoli <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/16 19:28:44 UTC

Obtaining facets without query

Hello everybody

I think that is a dumb question, but I can't find the way to obtain
some facets without an specific query, what I need is what is
implemented for instance in blacklight's OPAC, a first screen that
shows most common document types, most common subjects, most common
etc. I'm planning to use it for exploring the collection, or could
also use the most frequent subjects for making a dynamic tag cloud.
I've seen one answer that points to use luke'sLucene index
administration tool, but it seems to me something like violating the
Solr "box".

Should I make a broad query like q=* and obtaining the facets? It's
seems very expensive, isn't it?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Germán

Re: Obtaining facets without query

Posted by Stephen Duncan Jr <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Germán Biozzoli
<ge...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I think that is a dumb question, but I can't find the way to obtain
> some facets without an specific query, what I need is what is
> implemented for instance in blacklight's OPAC, a first screen that
> shows most common document types, most common subjects, most common
> etc. I'm planning to use it for exploring the collection, or could
> also use the most frequent subjects for making a dynamic tag cloud.
> I've seen one answer that points to use luke'sLucene index
> administration tool, but it seems to me something like violating the
> Solr "box".
>
> Should I make a broad query like q=* and obtaining the facets? It's
> seems very expensive, isn't it?
>
> Thanks a lot for the help.
> Germán

Use *:* as your query, and have 0 rows returned.  That shouldn't really be
any more expensive than faceting on any other query.

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com