Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Timothy Larson <Td...@ci.canton.oh.us> on 2002/09/20 17:43:48 UTC

Re: how to prevent logging passwords in request and sessionparams?

Thank you both.
I now have the logs rotating, and think I understand
the log categories, but there is still one problem.

It would be helpfull if the request parameters and session attributes
were logged, but with certain ones not showing their values.

For example:
  SESSION ATTRIBUTES:
    PARAM: 'username' VALUE: 'tdlarson'
    PARAM: 'password' VALUE: '*****'

Ideally, I would want to be able to specify which sensitive parameters
and attributes to hide the values of, possibly using wildcards.
Any ideas how to do this?

Tim

>>> vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net 09/20/02 09:50AM >>>
Barbara Post wrote:

>second question : yes : see rotation tag in WEB-INF/logkit.xconf.

First question: use log categories. Change log level for category where
username/pwd are logged.If this is sitemap component, you can even
assign it separate log category.

Vadim

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Timothy,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 11:43:48AM -0400, Timothy Larson wrote:
> It would be helpfull if the request parameters and session attributes
> were logged, but with certain ones not showing their values.
>
> For example:
>   SESSION ATTRIBUTES:
>     PARAM: 'username' VALUE: 'tdlarson'
>     PARAM: 'password' VALUE: '*****'
>
> Ideally, I would want to be able to specify which sensitive parameters
> and attributes to hide the values of, possibly using wildcards.
> Any ideas how to do this?

	To do this you probably need to write your own logkit filter to
	check the LogEvent for these strings and modify them if needed:
	http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/logkit/api/org/apache/log/filter/package-summary.html

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: