Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Qnet .." <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2007/10/30 22:43:44 UTC

High Qmail-Server Load

Hi Guys,
I'm running a Qmail server with spamassassin + clamav + Simscam.
The server i'm using is a HP ML110 CPU PIV (3.2 GHZ) 2mb chache , 1GB RAM.

The problem is, the i'm getting very high load because spamd is the processes which take the most part of the load
(invoked by spamassassin) si it's Spamassassin crash. i can stop spamassassin and them start it to work
again.

Do you know any way to solve it? sorry for my bad english .
Thank you.

RE: High Qmail-Server Load

Posted by Robert - elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.
If you need to reject unknown accounts at smtp time, go to

http://qmail.jms1.net

and check out validrcptto patch among other things

please read site in full to make good decisions re qmail

i.e. browser will not work there.

 - rh

Re: High Qmail-Server Load

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:43:44 +0000
"Qnet .." <ca...@hotmail.com> confabulated:

> Hi Guys,
> I'm running a Qmail server with spamassassin + clamav + Simscam.
> The server i'm using is a HP ML110 CPU PIV (3.2 GHZ) 2mb chache , 1GB
> RAM.
>
> The problem is, the i'm getting very high load because spamd is the
> processes which take the most part of the load (invoked by
> spamassassin) si it's Spamassassin crash. i can stop spamassassin and
> them start it to work again.
>

> Do you know any way to solve it? sorry for my bad english .
> Thank you.

Just taking a stab in the dark as I don't know much about qmail.

Are you rejecting unknown accounts at SMTP time? From my observation
with comments I've seen around the web, it appears qmail doesn't do this
by default. Please forgive me if my observation is incorrect. Just to
give you an idea on the numbers this can affect, yesterday our filter
server rejected over 850,000 unknown accounts.

Are you using any blacklist checks at the MTA level? Again, yesterday
our filter server rejected over 2.8 million messages just using
zen.spamhaus.org.

Rejecting unknown accounts and a couple decent RBLs can reduce the
number of messages SA has to process.

------
  _|_
 (_| |

Re: High Qmail-Server Load

Posted by Matthias Haegele <mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org>.
Qnet .. schrieb:
> Hi Guys,
> I'm running a Qmail server with spamassassin + clamav + Simscam.
> The server i'm using is a HP ML110 CPU PIV (3.2 GHZ) 2mb chache , 1GB RAM.
>
> The problem is, the i'm getting very high load because spamd is the processes which take the most part of the load
> (invoked by spamassassin) si it's Spamassassin crash. i can stop spamassassin and them start it to work
> again.
>

> Do you know any way to solve it? sorry for my bad english .

Perhaps you could tweak the number of processes (qmail/SA), adjust
scanned message sizes?
Do you use extra rulesets?
What causes the high load? CPU, i/o wait, memory?
Which SA Version?

--
GrĂ¼sse/Greetings
MH