Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2019/06/28 15:47:16 UTC

Branch-2 and Tomcat

During the Wednesday's meetup, we discussed the plan for the "bridge
release" branch-2.10.

A smooth upgrade path (that is, rolling upgrade) from 2.10 to Hadoop 3 was
called out as the most critical release criteria.

I am wondering if Tomcat (as well as other dependency upgrade) upgrade
should be considered as well?

We migrated from Tomcat to Jetty in Hadoop3, because Tomcat 6 went EOL in
2016. But we did not realize three years after Tomcat 6's EOL, a majority
of Hadoop users are still in Hadoop 2, and it looks like Hadoop 2 will stay
alive for another few years.

Backporting Jetty to Hadoop2 is probably too big of an imcompatibility. How
about migrating to Tomcat9?

FWIW, Tomcat 6 EOL along is big enough a reason why you should move up to
Hadoop 3. :)

Re: Branch-2 and Tomcat

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
 > Since 7.0.x is live for a while, upgrading to 7.0.94 first would be
easier step.

Upgrading Tomcat itself seems to be small fix than I thought.
I attached the patch to HADOOP-16439 for discussion.

Re: Branch-2 and Tomcat

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Re: Branch-2 and Tomcat

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.