Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Cornelius Herzog (CH Software)" <c....@chsoftware.net> on 2009/03/11 06:39:32 UTC

Starting Tomcat6 via command line/Removing registry keys

Hi,

I successfully installed Tomcat 6 with Apache 2.2 on Vista.  All runs
smoothly.

Now I want to control Tomcat via an external script and so I need it to
start via command line to adapt the parameters.

This is my command line:

tomcat6.exe //TS//Tomcat6 --StartParams=start
--StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartMode=jvm
--StartPath=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6
--Classpath=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6\bin\bootstrap.jar --Jvm="C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\client\jvm.dll" --JvmMs=0 --JvmMx=0 --JvmSs=0
-Dcatalina.home=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6
-Dcatalina.home=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6
-Dcatalina.base=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6\conf\logging.prop
erties  --LogLevel=Debug --LogPath=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6\logs
--StdError=auto --StdOutput=auto --StopParams=stop
--StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopMode=jvm
--StopPath=E:\wos_test_tomcat\Tomcat6

Tomcat starts fine. Now I tried to remove the keys from the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun
2.0\Tomcat6\Parameters\.

This worked well as well.

But if I know remove the EMPTY key Paramters in the registry as well, Tomcat
won't start anymore.

[2009-03-11 01:37:19] [427  prunsrv.c] [error]

The system couldn't find the specified file

[2009-03-11 01:37:19] [1336 prunsrv.c] [error]

Load configuration failed

But if I create an empty key named Paramters again, Tomcat starts up
perfect.

Did I forget a command line parameter? Or is it a bug?

Any help appreciated,

Cornelius

RE: Starting Tomcat6 via command line/Removing registry keys

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Cornelius Herzog (CH Software) [mailto:c.herzog@chsoftware.net]
> Now I want to control Tomcat via an external script and so I
> need it to start via command line to adapt the parameters.

If you install Tomcat via the zip (not the exe), you get some scripts to control its startup and shutdown via the command line.  tomcat6.exe is not used, and neither is the registry.  Try downloading the zip, unzipping it, looking for the .bat files in the root of the unzipped content and moving them across to your current install.

For some reason the scripts are not included in the setup version that installs the service.  Several of us on this list are puzzled about why they are not included.

                - Peter