Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@apache.org> on 2013/03/30 23:54:43 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Math 3.2 - RC4

This is a [VOTE] for releasing Apache Commons Math 3.2, based on release
candidate 4.

This version fixes numerous bugs and adds a few features.

You can retrieve the various parts here:

Sources, binaries and release notes:

<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/> (svn revision 1688)

Maven artifacts are here:

<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-043/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.2/>

Details of changes since 3.1.1 are in the release notes:

<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt>

<http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/changes-report.html>

Tag (this time with the correct URL...):

<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_2_RC4/>
(svn revision 1462820)

Site:

<http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/>

All reports (CLIRR, RAT, findbugs ...) :

<http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/project-reports.html>

Note that the PMD report shows several violations. A few of them are
false positive (unused method, unused field). A number of them are
voluntary (overriding method that simply calls super) because what we
really need in these cases is to add specific javadoc in the overriding
method. The remaining errors correspond to unused parameters. They are
known and correspond to deprecated method that will be removed in 4.0.
So despite the report is not perfectly clean, in fact everything that
could be fixed in it has already been fixed.

Votes, please.
This vote will close in 72 hours: 2013-04-02T23:00:00 UTC

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

  Thanks!

Luc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Math 3.2 - RC4

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Phil

Re: [CANCEL] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Math 3.2 - RC4

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

thanks for the added tests, I could not help the last days as I am still on
Easter vacation.

Thomas

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 02/04/2013 15:55, Gilles a écrit :
> Hello.

Hi Gilles,

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

>>> This is bad, we should have tests for that.

>>> This one is probably not a critical problem, so I would let it this
>>> way
>>> hoping further work could be done on this.
>>>
>>> Anyway, as the missing tests for distances bothers me and as I have
>>> also
>>> found new bugs in the ODE part, I cancel this vote and will cut
>>> another
>>> RC later on, once the bugs have been fixed.
>>>
>>> If in between someone could add the tests for the distance classes,
>>> it
>>> would be nice.
>>
>> Done in revision 1463534.
>
> It was fast!

It was pretty trivial too. ;-)
[I did not mean it to be a blocker.]

> Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.
Gilles

Re: [CANCEL] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Math 3.2 - RC4

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Hi Gilles,

Le 02/04/2013 15:41, Gilles a écrit :
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:59:22 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>> Le 02/04/2013 12:37, Gilles a écrit :
>>> Hi.
>>
> Hi.

>>> * There are no tests for some of the distance classes
>>> ("o.a.c.m.ml.distance").
>>
>> This is bad, we should have tests for that.
>>
>>> * The class "PollardRho" ("o.a.c.m.primes") is untested and unused.
>>
>> This one is probably not a critical problem, so I would let it this way
>> hoping further work could be done on this.
>>
>> Anyway, as the missing tests for distances bothers me and as I have also
>> found new bugs in the ODE part, I cancel this vote and will cut another
>> RC later on, once the bugs have been fixed.
>>
>> If in between someone could add the tests for the distance classes, it
>> would be nice.
>
> Done in revision 1463534.

It was fast!

Thanks a lot.

Luc

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:59:22 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 02/04/2013 12:37, Gilles a écrit :
>> Hi.

Hi.

>>> Votes, please.
>>> This vote will close in 72 hours: 2013-04-02T23:00:00 UTC
>>>
>>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>>   [X] +0 OK, but...
>>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>
>> * There are no tests for some of the distance classes
>> ("o.a.c.m.ml.distance").
>
> This is bad, we should have tests for that.
>
>> * The class "PollardRho" ("o.a.c.m.primes") is untested and unused.
>
> This one is probably not a critical problem, so I would let it this
> way
> hoping further work could be done on this.
>
> Anyway, as the missing tests for distances bothers me and as I have
> also
> found new bugs in the ODE part, I cancel this vote and will cut
> another
> RC later on, once the bugs have been fixed.
>
> If in between someone could add the tests for the distance classes,
> it
> would be nice.

Done in revision 1463534.

Gilles

[CANCEL] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Math 3.2 - RC4

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 02/04/2013 12:37, Gilles a écrit :
> Hi.

Hi Gilles,

>> Votes, please.
>> This vote will close in 72 hours: 2013-04-02T23:00:00 UTC
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [X] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>
> * There are no tests for some of the distance classes
> ("o.a.c.m.ml.distance").

This is bad, we should have tests for that.

> * The class "PollardRho" ("o.a.c.m.primes") is untested and unused.

This one is probably not a critical problem, so I would let it this way
hoping further work could be done on this.

Anyway, as the missing tests for distances bothers me and as I have also
found new bugs in the ODE part, I cancel this vote and will cut another
RC later on, once the bugs have been fixed.

If in between someone could add the tests for the distance classes, it
would be nice.

best regards,
Luc

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 30/03/2013 23:54, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> This is a [VOTE] for releasing Apache Commons Math 3.2, based on release
> candidate 4.
>
> This version fixes numerous bugs and adds a few features.
>
> You can retrieve the various parts here:
>
> Sources, binaries and release notes:
>
> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/> (svn revision 1688)
>
> Maven artifacts are here:
>
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-043/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.2/>
>
> Details of changes since 3.1.1 are in the release notes:
>
> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt>
>
> <http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/changes-report.html>
>
> Tag (this time with the correct URL...):
>
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_2_RC4/>
> (svn revision 1462820)
>
> Site:
>
> <http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/>
>
> All reports (CLIRR, RAT, findbugs ...) :
>
> <http://people.apache.org/~luc/commons-math-3.2-RC4-site/project-reports.html>
>
> Note that the PMD report shows several violations. A few of them are
> false positive (unused method, unused field). A number of them are
> voluntary (overriding method that simply calls super) because what we
> really need in these cases is to add specific javadoc in the overriding
> method. The remaining errors correspond to unused parameters. They are
> known and correspond to deprecated method that will be removed in 4.0.
> So despite the report is not perfectly clean, in fact everything that
> could be fixed in it has already been fixed.
>
> Votes, please.
> This vote will close in 72 hours: 2013-04-02T23:00:00 UTC
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Luc

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Artifacts and site look good. When building with Java 1.5 under Windows
7, I get the output below. A build with Java 1.7 is successful.

IIRC I had similar results for the last release with JDK 1.5. So I
assume this is not a blocker, and here is my +1

Oliver

Failed tests:
   GammaDistributionTest.testMath753Shape142:351->doTestMath753:298
shape = 142.0
, scale = 1.0
Old implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 553.0
mean: 384.3887688984882
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 9958.419960169416
sum of squares: 7.3011228E7
standard deviation: 99.79188323791378
sum of logs: -Infinity
New implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 26.0
mean: 2.460043196544277
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 2.2013220760520977
sum of squares: 3819.0
standard deviation: 1.483685302229586
sum of logs: -Infinity

FastMathStrictComparisonTest.test1:88->setupMethodCall:192->callMethods:167->r
eportFailedResults:154 double toRadians(-4.9E-324) expected -0.0 actual
0.0 entr
ies [12]