Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jay Hall <jh...@vandaliamo.net> on 2004/10/09 18:27:11 UTC

Per user blacklist

I have setup SpamAssassin 2.64, and qmail-scanner 1.23 on FreeBSD with
perl-5.8.4 and have been using them separately with great success.
However, I have decided to use qmail-scanners ability to run
SpamAssassin as the mail is processed.  And, I have this working to a
point (i.e. the mail is flagged correctly accoring to rules), but I
cannot get the blacklist to be recongized.

Spamd is running as root.  Spamc is called from the
qmail-scanner-queue.pl script with -u qscand.  qscand is the user whose
rules I would like to have used.  In debug, I see the following

logmsg: handle_user: unable to find user 'jay.hall@mnea.org'!
logmsg: Still running as root: user not specified with -u, not found, or
set to root.  Fall back to nobody.

I understand not being able to find the user jay.hall@mnea.org since
this server is simply a relay for scanning, etc. before the e-mail is
delivered to the Exchange server.  My thinking was that with the -u
option whenever a user is not found, the rules in the
/home/qscand/.spamassassin directory would be used.  The other thing
that is puzzling is that I have added, for testing purposes, my e-mail
address to the blacklist for nobody, and once the e-mail is received, I
am not being identified as a blacklisted sender.  If I add the blacklist
entry to local.cf, I am properly identified as a blacklisted send.

How do I force SpamAssassin to use a particular user's rules, as opposed
to nobody, when the user is not found?

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong with the blacklists?

Thanks for all your help.

Jay