Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Claes Holmerson <cl...@masystem.se> on 2000/09/04 08:56:09 UTC

SOAP and servlet engine

Hello,

I have been looking at SOAP as a replacement/complement to RMI for the
application we are developing. I wonder one thing though: will SOAP always
need a webserver with a JSP/Servlet engine? I understand that this could be
the focus for the Apache SOAP implementation, but for many applications this
is not convienient. Or have I misunderstood something?

Regards,

Claes

Claes Holmerson                   MA-system Control AB
claes.holmerson@masystem.se
Direct  +46 (0)46 325242          http://www.masystem.se
Fax     +46 (0)46 151074

Re: SOAP and servlet engine (my 2 cents woth)

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
Sorry but I am also biased. I just posted to the Apache Soap an SSL extension which were
really minimal. I am also planning a full blown set of 'security' extensions because that is
what my company needs for Web Services.  The most difficult thing is going to be to keep
compatibility with the already existing Soap implementations (like MSFT's ) while going ahead
with a full blown secure PKI based HTTPs implementation which will also have Server Side
ACLs. I almost believe that I know how to do this within the Java https framework but do not
appreciate yet the endpoint security required by an smtp transport.
Regards - George

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

RE: SOAP and servlet engine

Posted by Tony Hong <to...@usa.net>.
A couple of other quick notes -

Chapter 18 of the book "Professional XML" from Wrox (ISBN 1-861003-11-0)
provides an example of a SOAP server, written in C++ / COM, that acts as a
unified listener - SOAP processor.  The only requirement for HTTP-based SOAP
implementations is that the SOAP endpoint listener receive an HTTP post,
unwrap and process the SOAP request, and then return a response or fault.
I'm sure there are many other examples of servers that are monolitic
listener/SOAP processors (and do not rely on JSP/Servlet infrastructure),
but that's the first that comes to mind.

To add to James' point on non-HTTP transports, you can see a good example
right in the Apache SOAP toolkit. The StockQuote example uses SMTP as its
transport.   Also, once Biztalk, which uses an asynchronous
messaging-oriented paradigm, gets going, I imagine that you'll see a lot of
SOAP floating on things like MQSeries, MSMQ, Tibco Rendezvous, etc. as
enterprises gear up their existing messaging systems to exchange biztalk
docs.

Tony

RE: SOAP and servlet engine

RE: SOAP and servlet engine